HybridZ

Grassroots Article on 240z

Guest jdllaugh

I've seen the car in person and in the article. While its a good rattle can paint job, it still looks like a rattle can paint job.

The owner works for Balanced Performance in Sugar Hill, GA which is right across the alley from Sunbelt Performance Engines. Balanced has tons of Nissan experience.

Back when I was a poor college student, and had a bit of an interior fire that toasted the roof, interior, windshield, quarters, etc., I did the "rattle can" thing too. I found an "automotive finish" rattle can that had a very close match to the 110 red/orange that was on the car. I rattle canned it and it was an orange! I mean orange in color and orange in peel!

A few hours with some 400, 600, 800 sand paper and it looked smoother than the slightly oxidized true automotive paint on the car.

BTW, 320 rwhp for that type of a setup is damned impressive - 6 months to a year to get the carb dialed in though!

I have found that you can get a pretty good finish with a spray can on very small suface area items. The interior for instance would not be that bad because there are a lot of bends and the parts are pretty small. Its when you have large flat areas such as the hood, fenders, doors etc... you have the problems. My father owns a paint and body shop and for small items such as black side mirrors (only if the black is not suppose to match the car) he will use a spray can. There is just too much set up for the gun.