HybridZ

Jim Cook California Z questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well after looking all over the net and on the boards, I think I am going to purchase the California Z kit from Jim Cook Racing. Has anyone on here used this kit that can give me a little heads up on what to expect, quality, problems, high points, fit etc. I think the car looks great except for the square headlights, but I can take care of that. A few pics besides the ones on their site would be nice also.

Any help, ideas or info is muchg appreciated

Thanks in advance

John

i really like that kit... and this is just a heads up, but be very careful ordering anything from jcr. they dont get as many orders for the z stuff these days and have most of their focus on 'sebring tuning'. i had major problems when i ordered a fiberglass hood from them back in august. the quality was really really poor. i didnt even take it all the way out of the box. i just called and tried to return it. every time i called about my refund, they either hung up on me, told me someone would call me back (which was very rare), or told me that the person i asked for wasnt there (even though she was the one who answered the phone when i was hung up on).

talk about a major hassle... i called them once or twice a week, at least, from the moment i received the hood until i got my refund. and i didnt get my refund until january. they even admitted over the phone that they were having a problem with the company who was making fiberglass parts for them.

you may want to ask when/if you order it about returns. also check to see if they have the kit in stock or if it will have to be made. if it has to be made, i would worry. whoever made the hood for them did a really bad job. i'm not saying that this happens with every order, or that it will happen with ordering the kit from them. it's just a heads up on what happened when i tried to order something that was supposed to be high quality.

good luck with whatever you decide.

Guest Todd Bystrom

I've heard good and bad things about jcr. I've purchased solid fiberglass headlight covers and a rear spoiler from them. Both were fair quality. The actual glass was pretty good, but the fit of one of the headlight covers was terrible.

I also had a 240 with the california rear flares and "standard" front flares, and I really liked the look. To me, it was a much better combo than using the california front fenders. IMO, the front fenders are a little bulky looking, the way they stop at the door is not that clean, and same as you, I don't like the square headlights. I'll try and dig up a couple photos if you like.

The quality of the jcr rear flares on my car seemed pretty good. There were lots of checks along the top edge (the horizontal surface), but looked like that was from a bad install job. I bought that car more than 10 yrs ago, and I'm sure the flares had been put on at least 5 yrs before that, so things could be completely different today, so FWIW.

It would be ideal if you can find a z friend, or any friend for that matter, in the so cal area so that they could go look at the parts before they are shipped.

I assume in your search you looked at reaction research's flares. I think my personal choice would be the yz flares over jcr, because 1) they tie into the door and rear panel more nicely, 2) I've heard lots of good things about the quality and service. Just my nickels worth ;)

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info guys

Todd: Is there a website for reaction research. I couldnt find anything. Do they go by another name.

Blueoval: Thanks for the link to Ebay. I emailed him for a little more info and maybe some pics of the fenders themselves. I will definitely make a good bid on those if he can send me a little more info.

I picked up a 1971 240 with a cowl induction fiberglass hood last night. Paid 200 dollars for the whole car. Think I got a good score there. If anyone needs something from it, let me now Ill see what I can do.

Thanks so much for the info so far guys. Hopefully this kit on Ebay will work out for me. So, everyone else BACK OFF its mine. Just kidding.

Thanks again

John

Guest Anonymous

Datsun front fenders may be too long for UPS shipping. I shipped some and found out they are too long and appealled to a UPS manager for authorization to ship. Shipping by truck may be expensive for you.

Guest Anonymous

I figured it might be too much for UPS. If I get them I plan to arrange a truck shipment. That is the way Jim Cook sends them. You can get trucks to do it for 150 or so. That is not a bad price. Espaecialy if I can get a deal for the fenders.

Thanks

John

Guest Anonymous

I have an early pair of those rear JCR fenders and they are quality.Un mounted or unsupported Fiber glass does take a set after awhile but One August day in the sun will get them pliable to conform to your demands

Guest Anonymous

Thats cool. I am a little leary about buying old fiberglass, but I figure fiberglass can be persuaded to a point. Hope this all works out. It is one of the last pieces I need to finish my Z. This has been one long project. Glad I found this website. You guys ar great.

John

Guest Anonymous

Damn, damn, damn. I just lost the bid on that Jim Cook kit. I bid 601 dollars and it went for 611. Close but no cigar. Oh well. Guess Ill just have to buy it new. I would guess I am probably better off anyway getting new stuff instead of 20 year old fiberglass. Time to save a few more pennies. Thanks for the lead anyway blueoval. Anyone else hear good or bad about the kit before I order it. If not, I guess Ill let you guys know how it turns out. This site is great. Glad to be a part of it.

Thanks

John

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the tip. I searched high and low though and cannot come up with his name anywhere. Any other info on him you could give me. Or if anyone else knows of someone with the kit or Randys email.

280Z Zone: I talked to Sandy last week and they were still selling the kit. Have you heard this in the last week.

Thanks guys

John