HybridZ

Picked up a HX35w!

Challenger

Picked up a Hx35w for free from member "mastermechanic", thanks again Josh!

Anyways, Ive been reading on how to use it on my car and had a few questions.

Regarding the split housing, is it basically only beneficial with the use of a proper manifold? Is using the stock manifold just not utilizing its full potential or will there be adverse effects?

The housing hits the manifold so ill just need to use a spacer correct? It appears that the top two holes on the exhaust turbo housing bolts are threaded while the bottom two are not. I drilled them out and it slides on now (without intake housing). As for the spacer will just any T3 to T3 flange work?

Ill be switching over the wastegate from my stock turbo to the HX35w so I can keep the boost down where I want it.

Thanks!

Edited by Challenger

Cool. Thanks for the picture. Doesnt look like it needs much... when I mocked it up I thought it would take more than a half an inch but it looks like yours is just half an inch. Im going to see if I can get a t3 spacer cut out at school on the plasma cutter as well as check on longer studs and an adaptor fitting for the oil feed line.

Also, I noticed the original oil drain line fits on the holset. Looks like Ill need to just cut it down and run a longer tube. That is after I rotate the housing 90 degrees.

Stopped by a diesel shop in town, they had turbos sitting all over the place.. including an hy35. :) Anyways they were able to get me a 12mmx1.5 banjo fitting to fit the hx35w. The stock banjo fitting is 12x1.25 so this will work perfect with the stock oil lines. Also talked to him about feeding the turbo as well as the drain. He said it was important to have no places where it turns more than 45 degrees. It should be a strait shot, or very close to strait right into the oil pan so it doesnt back up and go through the seals into your intake and exhaust housings = lots of smoke. He had a funny story about that. haha

Ill be cutting my stock return line down or checking to see what a used one originally for the holset costs so I can run a new hose to the oil pan.

The return is actually really close to the size of the holsets.

Also how thick a spacer are you guys using? Im going to measure it when get home. Im getting a t3 flange spacer cut in town for like 20-30 bucks so I need to decide what size tonight.

I had this laser cut for me this week for $10 Aus dollars, about $8 US.

I made this so it fits better on the manifold where I needs to weld it ( it only fits one way )

Rename "Weld Flange.dwg.zip" to "Weld Flange.dwg" , it wouldn't allow me to upload with a .dwg file name for some reason.

It's 12mm thick.

Nigel

post-2090-044793300 1283426124_thumb.jpg

post-2090-011036900 1283426133_thumb.jpg

Weld Flange.dwg.zip

I have an HY35 sitting on the shelf for my next motor. I would assume the banjo bolt for this unit will also be 12x1.5, correct?

This will be a good source of information.

I've talked with a member on here and he put down 415hp on a customer car with a custom cam and an HY35.

• 3 weeks later...