HybridZ

Painted/Bed Liner Black Colored Rocker Panel/Lower Door Skin?

Well, I am new to this forum, and new to the S30's. However, I have had a 1980 280ZX 10th Ann. Ed (#996), 1982 2+2, 1983 Turbo, 1984 Turbo, 1986 N/A T-top coupe, 1990 TT. So I know and love Z cars, but mostly the newer, fatter cars :)

My new toy (bought 8/28/10) is a 1972 240Z with a 280Z motor--very fun car. It's not a show car, but truly a VERY NICE driver. I have some gloss black/charcoal wheels coming for it--almost anthracite in color. I was thinking it might be cool to paint/apply bed-liner (not kidding, that stuff will seal anything) to the rocker panels as well as just below the body line at the bottom of each door skin. Taking the black line to just under the front and rear bumpers.

My conundrum is that I cannot seem to find a picture of this to either confirm my idea might be a good one, or if I'm going to regret it and walk into a full repaint :) If anyone has done this and/or has pics of something similar I'd love to see them. Also, I'm open to any and all opinions too!

Thanks a lot and I am looking forward to getting to know you all as time goes by.

post-13059-069051600 1283173230_thumb.jpg

post-13059-095872800 1283173239_thumb.jpg

post-13059-092824200 1283173251_thumb.jpg

There really isn't anything to hide. More of a cosmetic thing with a little extra rock chip/rust protection to boot. There is a bit of a bad repair on passenger side rocker (behind door and in front of rear wheel well). So nothing really big on a cover-up issue, more of a future protection/looks thing. Thanks for the shout, though, I appreciate it.

If you have any perforation of the metal, ANY topcoating will seal in the moisture that is fallacious to say it's peculiar to Rhino-Lining.

There are standard 'chip guard' coatings that are used on current production vehicles that allow the gloss paint of the rest of the body to be topcoated over it. They work well and I have seen them applied to the earlier cars successfully.

If the color accent is what you want, then either option should work: coating with the above mentioned rocker guard, or simple 1/8" thick rhino-lining will do the same. It's heavy, and who knows costs versus the standard treatment mentioned above. I have seen it applied as undercoating, which it looks startingly similar to the stock Nissan stuff if applied correctly, and makes for a very tough underside of the car, resistant to everything as you mentioned. This same application I've seen on 'both sides' of the floorboards including the trans tunnel and wheel wells. I DEFY it to 'trap moisture' when applied like that! No access front or rear. We actually had it applied and then put the plugs in the floor with sealant: it held a rocker-panel level water level for several days (we were curious)---rocker to rocker, including the seat mount brackets. It adds weight, but is suitable for use as-is without carpet as a very scuff-resistant floor covering, as well as deadening sound (it was applied heavily in the differential area to stop that R200 noise!)

With the photos you gave, I'd probably go with 'option one' and use the conventional stone-guard. To apply the rhino lining (line-x, whatever...) you reallly want everything off the car, to do just the rockers on the outside won't do a whole lot more than what the cheaper conventionally applied stone guard for the late models will do.

Whatever you decide, post photos. Good Luck!

Guys, thanks a bunch for the info and the pics! This is exactly what I was looking for! I will check out the link above a little later today, but this gives me a good way to go. Based on what I hear and see, I think the paint option with chip guard would be the way to go. Now then, I have to figure out the aesthetics :)