HybridZ

Spark Plugs and Wires

75280z

Alright here is my problem.

The car starts and runs just fine (Sometimes) and other times she starts up but idles rough and I can't tune it. I am getting spark and fuel all that good stuff. When I pull the plug wires off the car wont stumble unless I pull off several of them when I am putting the wires back on before I get them clicked on the spark plugs will start firing and the engine will run smoother. Now some days its a couple of the plugs, other days its others.

So this is my question is it really just my spark plugs need replaced (I am getting new ones tomorrow); or is it maybe my spark plug wires too?

The reason I put it in MS forum is are there any plugs and wire brands that people have gotten better performance out of then others I am running a stock l28et with the 280zx dizzy, using MS1-MSNSe.

I am using NGK brand plugs and wires. I also tried to side gap the plugs today and that seemed to help on some of the cylinders.

Thank you for your help

I checked the plugs yes they are in the right spots. Like I said sometimes she runs better than others I am going to replace the plugs to see how that goes tomorrow. I do not have a new rotor or cap, but I am getting a spark from all of the wires at all times.

Edited by 75280z

I checked the plugs yes they are in the right spots. Like I said sometimes she runs better than others I am going to replace the plugs to see how that goes tomorrow. I do not have a new rotor or cap, but I am getting a spark from all of the wires at all times.

If a rotor is bad or the cap is bad it doesn't always mean you won't get spark to certain spark plugs, sometimes the spark isn't as strong as it should be. Check your Distributor cap and rotor, most likely they are old and have some build up a old trick is just to take some light sandpaper to clean up the contacts on the rotor and distributor and if that doesn't fix it just replace the rotor and cap, Can't hurt.

Thanks for the Tip I will report back tomorrow after I have tried it (Or in the middle of the night if I can't sleep again. I sure hope I can this will be 4 nights in a row running on about 2 hours sleep!). I might just edit this post if it seems to work to keep thread counts lower.

Alright So I did the Rotor Cap cleaning and it seems to have helped some so thank you for that very good tip, but still getting very little response from the first 3 cylinders, also I am getting shocked through my NGK plug wires when I take them off of the spark plugs while it is running and I am no where near the ends of the boots that seems like a bad thing if the spark is leaking out the sides of the plug wires.

So I guess I will be looking into some new wires.

So the question is now

Magnecor

Taylor

The ones lumberjackz is selling http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/94350-new-quality-black-8mm-high-performance-datsun-z-l24l26l28-spark-plug-with-fire-braiding/

Edited by 75280z

I am running NGK BPR6ES so it is a resistor type plug.

PROBLEM FIXED!

Alright well I should have purchased new Spark Plugs days ago instead of not wanting to until I did more testing. I did a compression test and all cylinders were 120 @ 5000 feet so that was ok then I changed the spark plugs. WOW.

I bought a set of NGK BPR6EGP's the car started right up, throttle is now instant and all cylinders are firing. I probably could used a new set of plug wires, but with them on the plugs they aren't jumping through the wires so that will wait for a while.

So lesson learned if you think your plugs might be fouled just change them out I think I am going back tomorrow to buy another set just to have on hand.

Also thank you every one for all the great pointers. When I eventually get new wires they will most likely be Magnecors.

Edited by 75280z