HybridZ

Please help me diagnose my problem - Bad CV axle?

jacob80

Hey guys,

This past weekend, I attended the Midwest Z Fest and had an absolute blast! Unfortunately, I was experiencing some vibrations at higher speeds and I want to say I have a bad CV axle, but would like to confirm it with you guys. Here are the symptoms:

1) Vibration at higher speeds

2) Metallic clicking noise under mid-high acceleration. The only way I could describe this is if you were touching a screwdriver to the spokes of a fast moving bicycle wheel.

I went ahead and pulled the axles and checked my wheel bearings, but there didn't appear to be any kind of grinding/scraping of any kind either in the bearings or in the CV axle joints.

I'm scared because I'm using the VLSD from an '88 SS Z31 and I KNOW it is going to be tough to find these axles.

Other than this, the car ran PHENOMENALLY and handled very well.

I would really appreciate the help guys, I would like to get out on the track at least one more time before winter.

Thank you HybridZ!

If it was a CV joint, they can be rebuilt at a driveline shop.

You could probably go through your CV's and see if any feel rough or excessively loose.

What works for me more than half the time, is before I remove anything. I go through and see if I can find any excessive play just by trying to move things with my hand . Usually if something is worn I can get it to make a click and if something is really bad it has noticeable movement.

Edited by goodoldjam

Ill check those, Matt.

Ill also go through the whole drivetrain and see if I can find any excessive play.

I'm happy to hear that my CV shafts can be serviced, because like I said, I believe it will be VERY hard to find another set. I was able to find some brand new ones directly from Nissan for a heft price of $900+ a piece!

If anyone else has any advice that may help, I would appreciate it.

Thank you guys!

Edited by jacob80