HybridZ

donor vehicle Vs Parts Gathering

Hello,

This might seem like a dumb question but I have one in regards to a donor vehicle, I have read that it is more cost effective and quicker to get a full donor vehicle but Im sure there are some people on here that have done the Ls1 Z mod without a full donor vehicle due to not having space and other reasons. Have any of you made a parts list of the other things not included in John's cars write up?? It stops at "accessories and brackets, radiator fans, etc" what exact Accessories and brackets in terms of part names and numbers???

Thank you

Simon

Simon,

There are a lot of issues you have to take take in consideration before you even begin the parts lists. Johns Car kit and JTR LS1 parts handles the main parts for doing the swap. But, the parts needed change if you have a 240Z vs. a 280Z (fuel delivery and gas tank), the condition of your Z before you start, going with a automatic 4L60E vs. a T56 6spd and now Keislers make adapters for TKO 500-600 5spd. So, searching here, LS1tech.com, hotrodlane.cc (Street and Performance ) and create your swap parts list based on the car you have 240? 260? early or late? 280?, and what you want to do --show car, track car, daily driver or just a weekend cruiser. Me personally, I have got parts from Summit, Jegs, Oreilly Auto Parts, Pegasus Racing Parts, MotorsportAuto, BlackDragon Z parts, Ebay, Mcmaster-Carr, Speartech (harness and computermods) -this is what I can think of off the top of my head. Everyones vendor lists for there swap might make some interesting reading.

I went the donor route and it's convenient if you plan to really use the donor. I used EVERYTHING out of the donor which most people dont. Wiring harness, fuse block, throttle cable and pedal, fuel tank, fuel lines, trans, driveshaft (until I blew it up), etc. HOWEVER it is a real, real, real PITA to part out a car. Four years after I started and I still have crap I cant get rid of. I still have a complete hatch I cant give away believe it or not. So it's convenient and can save $$ if you have the time and patience but it's a pain to get rid of unless you just scrap it.

Cameron

I have never bought a complete car/truck for the LSx swaps, but if the price is right, go for it.

I haven't needed to because most of my LSx swaps for customers have been 5.3's and I get those with every single item (down to the sensors, PCM, harness, starter, accessories, TAC module, DBW pedal, etc) that could be used from the donor truck without buying the whole truck for $600 out the door.

I'm also at a crossroad with 2 computor and harnesses from doner trucks. One is a 2005 "Drive by wire", the other a 1999 "cable throttle". Not sure what the camero wiring looks like but the pickup harnesses are really intimidating . Considering painless setup. Dan

Considering painless setup.

If money is no issue, then by all means.

If you want to save your money, send your computer and harness to www.wait4meperformance.com and he'll convert everything for stand-alone operation for $360 with return shipping included. Turn around is usually a week.

• 1 month later...

I am starting this process and will try to keep reciepts, part numbers and suppliers for the forum. Will try to take pictures too, but that gets messy, so I may skip or limit the pictures. My goal is to provide a basic "cook book" for a basic LS swap into a Z-car, but also to be very specific. I'm finding a few guys on the forum who are helpful. Have you made any progress on your project?