HybridZ

Possible fire issues with CBFC 210 Blower?

FricFrac

I've been researching turbo builds for the last year here on HybridZ in particular for my 280ZX. After doing a lot of research I decided to go with an L28ET stock swap then a few upgrades like the BOV, external wastegate, intercooler, electronic boost controller, MS, etc, etc. I'm always reading and asking guys about their builds on L28ETs and other turbo charged cars. Every now and then you run across something unique and this weekend I came across a really unique setup. I was originally going with a turbo setup but this blower looks like a pretty slick setup. My main concern though is the carburation and I'm not sure if this is a blow through or draw through but it looks pretty dangerous to me either way. Of course I'm no expert so I though I'd come to the experts and see what you guys think. I'm not sure of the model number but it looks like its made by the Canadian Blower Force Company model # 210. I couldn't find anything about the A/R or trim or anything like that. I looked like the guys demoing the model were busy doing some machine work so I didn't bother them but snapped a few pictures anyway.....

As you can see the float bowl is quite large and exposed. That's where my main concern for safety is - wouldn't this just make giant fireballs?

You can see though that the blower is pretty heavy duty and it looks like the whole thing is made from cast iron. I couldn't figure out where the oil lines were routed but I suspect they just mix the gas and oil in the float bowl....

post-6495-073301900 1283863058_thumb.jpg

I think the people putting the show on realized that the display was fairly dangerous with the open float bowl system so they had the display roped off AND had several ambulance parked right beside the display in case there were any injuries sustained from the demo.

post-6495-064070400 1283863080_thumb.jpg

Now here is a real beauty based on a similar blower. I saw some pretty crazy posts on here about running an air compressor and tank for a boosted system but I think there are some really good and innovative ideas right here. First I really like the unique piping system they use that eliminates the need for an intercooler! You can see how they use a very specialized pipe that incorporates cooling vents and at the same time allows the air to swirl inside making sure the nitrogen and oxygen are mixed equally from the atmosphere but is then smoothed by small hairs at the end of the piping (you can't see it but I'm pretty sure that's how it works). They have also utilized their space as efficiently as possible which is quite clear from the routing on the piping - nice job! The other really nice feature on this system is the UEFPBS (Unique Environmentally Friendly Power Boost System). On the side of the blower there is a simple hand crank. With the compressor tank system that was proposed here you have to return to your shop to refill the compressed air tank. Not with this beauty. Simply crank the blower to induce more boost into the system. Have a free loading passenger? Make him/her work their way to their destination! Pregnant wife on the way to the hospital? She'll tell you how fast she needs to get there by how fast she cranks the UEFPBS!

Remember you saw it here first on HybridZ!

post-6495-000674100 1283863105_thumb.jpg

Um i dont know if this is a joke post or what but thats not related to cars in any way, thats a forge. That blower isn't meant for high rpm's or to move the amount of air that a engine would need, its meant to stoke the fire in the forge to get the coke to burn at a higher temperature by introducing more air. I doubt it could be adapted to a car, but a forge is quite a fun little thing to have and if you have some springs from a car you could always make some knives! :D

Edited by KillerBjt

Um i dont know if this is a joke post or what but thats not related to cars in any way, thats a forge. That blower isn't meant for high rpm's or to move the amount of air that a engine would need, its meant to stoke the fire in the forge to get the coke to burn at a higher temperature by introducing more air. I doubt it could be adapted to a car, but a forge is quite a fun little thing to have and if you have some springs from a car you could always make some knives! :D

Seriously..... it's my sad attempt at humour..... if figured it was blazingly obvious but I guess if guys are asking about running a compressor tank into the intake.....

Tightening the clearances on any industrial blower will allow you to make pressure.

The standard Toro Leaf Blower when run with adequate tip clearances in the 0.015-0.020" range will boost a 3 liter engine to 5-10psi at speeds acheivable through simple flat-belt speed multiplication. The original blower fan is plastic, but order the replacement unit and it's magnesium. Easily run on greased or oil filled pillow block bearings to the required speeds off the crankshaft.

"Gator Superchargers"

Put two on the 5.0 and you're set.

I am not joking.

I have a vast repository of useless and arcane knowledge when it comes to doing stuff with other stuff not meant to be used that way.

You should see what I can do with Adult Latex Products and some general hardware store supplies... :blink: