HybridZ

SCCA Rollbar Question

jeff81

Hey

I am trying to fit in a rollbar in a car to be used as street and occational track car. I have all the rules and regulations regarding the roll bar, except one.

What is the max tilt that can be done to the main hoop? I am thinking about trying to tilt the main hoop to deal with the lack of headroom and my size in the car. As of now I am considering to tilt the main hoop towards the hatch to clear things up, but in doing so what is the limitation of this idea?

The idea is to make it so I will be able to do some hot-laps and similar activities occationally, like at Z conventions and other open track activities.

Let me know if this idea is even possible. Depending on the angle to tilt the main hoop will impact what options that I may have on this build.

Jeff

post-5058-089999100 1283947656_thumb.jpg

Edited by jeff81

Hey

I am trying to fit in a rollbar in a car to be used as street and occational track car. I have all the rules and regulations regarding the roll bar, except one.

What is the max tilt that can be done to the main hoop? I am thinking about trying to tilt the main hoop to deal with the lack of headroom and my size in the car. As of now I am considering to tilt the main hoop towards the hatch to clear things up, but in doing so what is the limitation of this idea?

The idea is to make it so I will be able to do some hot-laps and similar activities occationally, like at Z conventions and other open track activities.

Let me know if this idea is even possible. Depending on the angle to tilt the main hoop will impact what options that I may have on this build.

Jeff

There's no rule regarding "tilt". The top of the main hoop must be within 6" of the driver's helmet when the driver is seated and belted in place.

EDIT: Just reviewed Section 9.4 again and there is no rule specifying tilt or how close the main hoop shop should be to the driver's head. That was part of the old roll cage construction rules.

I was going to say, wouldn't you want it farther away from the helmet? I cage should always be properly padded, but if you hit your helmet on it its still going to hurt.

No. The closer the better (fore and aft direction) to keep the roof structure from collapsing on your head.