HybridZ

Protecting bare metal

JMortensen

I bought some MM stub axles and they have a nice anodizing on most of the surfaces, but the hub face is just exposed steel. I'm wondering what I could do to protect it a little bit. I haven't been able to come up with anything except rifle bluing. I have some cold bluing that I could use on it. I guess I'm just wanting to prevent the brake hat from corroding itself to the axle face, like the drum brakes so commonly do. Anyone have a suggestion or a recommendation for or against the bluing. I know bluing won't eliminate rust or corrosion, but I think it would slow it down a bit.

• 1 month later...

x2 on Anti-seize or High Temp paint. I think POR-15 makes some high temp paint. Here in Michigan I usually put some anti-seize on there to ensure the hub doesn't rust/corrode and make the rotor/wheel seal it self to the bare surfaces.

That amsoil stuff is actually pretty good for preventing rust, considering how light it is anyway.

Yeah I use this all the time on my workbenches, as well as any exposed surfaces of my machine tools. Works like a charm. Haven't tried it in a hot environment (ie: near brakes) to know whether it will liquefy.

I did some more checking and decided to leave it alone. I looked into cold bluing that I'd used on some rifle parts, and it turns out it's far inferior in terms of rust protection to hot bluing, which I don't want to get into. The one other thought I had was a dry graphite spray. If that doesn't work I guess I'll just deal with it and hope that the rotor doesn't seize to the stub axle the way the stock drums do...

Dry graphite spray is usually just graphite particles suspended in acetone, or are you suggesting something other than that? Put a light coat of copper anti-seize on there, and it will help... works on exhaust studs, should work in that application as well.

What about using a wear resistant paint like DuraCoat? It is a little more involved than just spray painting a part but it has been tested on firearm suppressors and has seemed to hold up to fairly high temps (500F+). Another product is called DuraHeat which is capable of going up to 1800F and cures at room temp.