HybridZ

spray guns????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi

i was just wondering what your recommendations are on spray guns. i am looking for a spray gun but don't know what to look for. should i judge a gun by its price, brand, etc?

Personally, I don't know a thing about spray guns. However, RacerX and Terry O (blueovals) will chime in. In the mean time I've seen a few guys post this forum as a reference: Autobody Store

I've checked out some of the posts and learned quite a bit. The guy that owns the store/site seems to be very helpful in answering questions like this

Conventional (old style) quart pot siphon type are not as widely used now and even ban in some areas of the country, due to the atomized overspray that blows all over. Even in ideal conditions (spray booth) you still expend a good amount of paint into the air and not the surface where you want it to go.

The newer guns are HVLP, simply High Volume Low Pressure as compaired to the earlier siphon which were just the opposite, LVHP.

Of these newer HVLP's, there are siphon type with the cup placed in the conventional position, underneath, and the newer more sophisticated with the gravity fed cup, on top. Of the two they each have their own particular shooting styles, and finishes. The more common being used is the top gravity feed cup. This allows for the paints to be fed without the introduction of thinning agents,which are more commonly used in the siphon.

There are a variety of spray guns with all sorts of attachments and fancy gear. KISS...the keep it simple stupid theory, really is the best. What you want is a gun that fits your hand and grip. Not unbalanced or too top heavy. Next look for a variety of needle sizes. This will determine not only the type of paint(s) you can use but also the finishes. Different guns for different jobs. A gun for priming, one for blending, another for touch-up, and one for finish spraying. Using a combination of these to fit the particular job, finish and paint viscosity.

Pearls, candies, lacquers, micas, flake etc., all require certain guns and a combination of techniques. As mentioned earlier, Devilbiss, Sharpe and Binks are industry standards. As such the prices vary from $150 - $850. The high end guns I won't even give you their name! Figure on the average of approx $350-$500 depending on what paint and finish you are trying to "shoot for." In any event, look around and settle for something that is in your price range, can multi task, and give you the performance you are looking for. Ask your local AUTO paint supply store. Any decent one has several in stock and can explain each one in detail.

Another biggie is having enough air to sustain its use. Some guns have big air draw, and that is where the HVLP comes also into play. Look around there is a lot to consider.

Comps, VAN 2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

Spray guns:

Only HVLP spray guns can be be sold in

California. There are strict fines for their

use and sale. These guns usally take getting

use to it as compared to conventional suction

guns. For example you have to spray at a closer

distance as the output pressure is only 4 to 5

psi. This will prevent proper spraying in windy

areas. Many paint shps rent their booths out

especially on weekends.