HybridZ

what are the laws on bumpers on a car that will be driven on

Guest 2002sentraSER

Guest 2002sentraSER

i am looking at a z that has no rear bumper and i was wondering if that is allowed on a street driven car that has antique plates on it and if it has to have them does anyone know of where i could get one from?

Guest Anonymous

From what I have read on this site that if a car came with bumpers it must have bumpers. Apparently the federal government thru highway funding required every state to pass bumper law legislation. There are fiberglass spoilers and rear kits that give the appearance of bumpers. You can obtain used bumpers. or be a real renagade and run without them since the bumper law is not rigidly enforced.

Guest Anonymous

I had a special pricing catalog for a listing a body styling kit "to get rid of those crash bumpers" by MSA (1-800-633-6331) for $479.95 (freight collect) which ended in May, A lot of members use this kit.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by 2002sentraSER:

i am looking at a z that has no rear bumper and i was wondering if that is allowed on a street driven car that has antique plates on it and if it has to have them does anyone know of where i could get one from?

The laws aside, the bigger question is what would your insurance company do if you were scrunched - and had no bumpers?

I've thought about simply covering my badly-in-need-of-refinishing bumpers with an MSA kit. Don't know if it would work/fit, but I refuse to remove the bumpers from a near-irreplaceble car..

JMHO.

Yeah ya need em, check earlier posts on the subject...however, show/custom vehicles usually become overlooked unless....you are doing something obvious...like lighting up your tires, or being somewhere you shouldn't be...watching street racing.

Comps, VAN...aka Gld7PtStar!

Guest Anonymous

In VA you are supposed to have them however I have had 2 cars inspected without them . It really just depends on who does your state inspection. I have never heard of anyone in SE VA getting stopped or ticketed for not having them. If you want to put something on that looks like bumpers you can buy the front /rear fiberglass units that MSA sells and you won't have any problems in VA.

well, ive driven around for about 4-5 months with no front bumper on my 77 280Z... i even got pulled over once for speeding, ( got out of the ticket) and the cop didnt even mention my lack of a front bumper... so i suppose it really isnt an issue of gettng into trouble for not having bumpers, but whether or not you feel safe driving around in a tin can without even the illusion of protection.

anyhow, good luck with whatever decision you make.

Joe Borsodi

Here is a long thread on the very same topic. A couple of cops from assorted states chimed in.

http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000709

One option is the Datsun "european" bumpers. One piece chrome units without the ugly rubber strips and overriders. But I have just noticed the newest MSA catalog lists them as unavailable/special order items.

Guest Anonymous

i asked this awhile back when i first got my 77... i took them off and have had them off for about 2 months now and havnt had no probs with the po pos... i even got pulled over the otehr day for speeding and didnt even get a word on having no bumpers..