HybridZ

WELDERS??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

HI,

I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT KIND OF MIG WELDERS DO YOU GUYS THINK ARE BETTER. THE ONES THAT USES GAS OR THE ONES THAT DON'T?AND WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE TWO? ALSO WHICH ONE GIVE YOU A BETTER WELD?

THANKS,

LLOYD

Guest Anonymous

The one with the gas will have less contamination in the weld and would theoretically be stronger, but in practice its only marginally so, either will give a sufficiently strong weld in my opinion, but if you have the money and or get a good deal on one with gas I'd by all means go that way. In the archives under 'welders' I'm sure theres several series of posts on what peoples opinions of which brands are the best in there.

Regards,

Lone

A good weld is always stronger than bad one. Meaning the mig with the shield is stronger as long as you are making good weld. If you got the gas sheild it's easier to weld good. Make sense?

Also, it takes more amp to weld without the shield.

Guest Anonymous

thanks for all the info. i am planning on welding a roll cage in my 240z and was just wondering if a 110 amp mig welder with gas be strong enough for this job or would i have to get a more amperage welder????

The 110 welder should be fine for up to .125 wall tubing but it might not be enough for the mounting plates, especially if you're just learning how to weld. Find a local class or get a welding video and practice, practice, practice before you start on your roll cage.

Guest Anonymous

Typical 110 welder CAN weld up to 1/4 inch in a pass if your slow and deliberate with it and you bevel both edges. Its plenty strong enough, but as John said, on a rollcage practice practice you may need to depend on it. I was getting good penetration on the tack welds on my roll cage with a shielded wire but if and when I finish putting in the cage I'll get a gas kit for my lincoln, I already have the bottle of C02, a argon mix is prefered by some, stay away from pure argon, to expensive and not necessary IMHO unless your going to mig aluminum, and thats not even a option really without a spoolgun and you can't weld aluminum under 1/8" realistically with a mig anyway. Good luck.

Regards,

Lone

Guest 400 ci 280z

well, i gave blood today at lowe's and they gave me a 10% off coupon. so it looks like i will get the lincoln pro-mig 150 that they have here in the next week or so. does any one have this, and do the adjustments work well for sheetmetal? thanks.

I have a Lincoln Weldpak and it has served me very well. And this may be obvious, but if you get anything from a pawn shop, please don't offer them more than like half their asking price. I dunno what it is with pawn shops - some kind of ancient tradition: take in a used item, "loan" out money based on about 1/20th the item's value, then after the elapsed time, put it up forsale at 10% above what full retail would be for an equivalent, new item.

I bought a Lincoln 150 from Lowes and so far have been happy with it. It took a little while to get the hang of it, but I'm starting to get better. OK, OK I'll admit I'm on my second grinding wheel, but I like the sparks. :D:D I got a 5 pound tank for CO2/Argon mix but I'm trading it in for a 10 pound. The 5 pound runs out a little too quickly. All in all I'm happy with it. The video that came with the unit is helpful, I'm going to watch it again just for good measure (maybe some small morsal of knowledge will sink in). A big help was a tip about holding a block of brass on the front side when welding a hole closed, boy does that make it easy. I have a true incentive to get better, nobody complains about the welding, but my wife gets cranky about the grinding :rolleyes:

-VRjoe

Guest 400 ci 280z

just picked up my welder at lowes for $415 with tax. that is about $10 less than their list price w/o tax. i am going to set it up at practice with it for a while until i get my bottle of gas. 2thumbs.gif