HybridZ

Trouble doing bellhousing swap

Wedge

Hi, I am in the process of removing my RB26 and Z32 tranny bellhousing and I cant seem to be able to remove the shifter rod on my RB26 tranny . How do you remove the dowel pin mine looks like a cylinder with another smaller cylinder inside it i tried tapping on the middle one with a punch but it wont budge . Any ideas on how to do it . I cant post pictures now but tomorow I will to help clarify if anyone knows what im talking about.

Thank you

From what I understand don't you take the rear section of the z32 trans and stick it in the RB's bellhousing?

That's one of the swaps done, but with just the front bell case piece being swapped, I don't think it's nessarey to remove much but the front plate, snap rings...

To remove the rear case piece from the gear set, that's a bit more involved. I'm hoping someone who has actually done it will confirm, or tell me where I'm wrong.

From what I red in the sticky their are 2 dowel pins to remove . At first when I removed the front plate and the 2 snap ring i taped on the bellhousing and it wasnt coming off completely then I went back to the computer to check the sticky and thats when i saw the dowel pin . I went back to the garage and checked the shifter rod to find it had moved forward the same length of what I had the housing off ,so about 3/4 inch . I tried to removed the pin I circled but nothing seems to do the tric. BTW Its rb26 bell going to be on a z32 of course .

Edited by Wedge

Be carefull when you remove the steel flap tab because theirs a bearing at the end of a spri ng so it could (stay on like my rb ) or fall inside the tranny ( like my z32 box) it fell in the drain pan so i had to fetch it . I still need to find the torque spec ,ill post them when I find them

• 2 months later...

Be carefull when you remove the steel flap tab because theirs a bearing at the end of a spri ng so it could (stay on like my rb ) or fall inside the tranny ( like my z32 box) it fell in the drain pan so i had to fetch it . I still need to find the torque spec ,ill post them when I find them

How did this turn out for you?

Question: are you going to be installing the trans into a 240/280z, and are you using a Z32 rear portion of the gear box mated to the front bell portion from a rb26?

Reason I ask is I'd like to know / see how that set up fits up inside the trans tunnel when all said and done. What shifter set up did you decide on trying?

Got any pics of your progress?

The bell is on i did torque it FSM says 23-31 ft-lb . The tranny is going in a 78 280z I am using a Z32 box on a RB26 belhousing its not in the car yet and im starting to wonder if my McKinney trans mount will work with that . Ill have to check the mesurements for the shifter locaton but i dont have the RB25 shifter position form let say bellhousing to center of shifter . Them its just going to be a hack job on the z32 shifter braquet to make it fit.