HybridZ

car runs fine but then acts up and dies after warming up please help

ok i have a 1983 280zx non turbo and when you first start it up it runs fine but after it warms up it begins acting up. while driving the tach drops to zero and rolls until clutch engages (its a manuel) and roll starts itself while still driving down the road or sometimes won't restart at all. i have to just pull over and after about 30 min. of sitting there it will start again and run fine until it warms up once again. we have replaced the plugs, fuel filter, coil, distributor cap and rotor button. please help i need to get it running once again.

try cleaning the connectors for the ecu, tps and afm for a start. Deoxit by CAIG is the best I've found for cleaning. Are your battery and cables up to snuff. terminals tight and corrosion free. Battery load tested? zx don't like low voltage and will cause gremlins if everything isn't correct. Is your battery ground strap properly grounded to the frame before it goes to the starter. grounding thru the starter is not a reliable ground. you need to do some diagnostics and present your findings. otherwise all is guesswork. get the fsm from xenon.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar issue. Driving down the road, then suddenly It was coasting and the engine was off? Turned out it was the ignition module on the side of the distributor. If it is not making a good contact with the dizzy body, it gets hot and shuts down. I made sure the unit was securely fastend to the dizzy. (it was loose) Search ign modules. A new one may be required!

• 1 month later...

My 78 just started doing this sort of crap TODAY. Was getting on the freeway and brought it upto about 5k then all of a sudden the car is running pig rich to the point it dies, and struggles to stay alive with very careful throttling. Had it off for a few minutes and fired it up, ran fine, gave it a good rev to 6k and went off on my way. Keep driving for about a half hour and decide to give it another go. Goes right up to 5k perfect then suddenly acts like someone started dumping too much fuel into it. This time I pull off of the road and keep it alive the best I can and it clears up on its own. Driving home from work, I decide to keep it at a steady 3000rpm and then bring it up briefly to 4k and notice a heavy stumble, quickly slow down and it drives ok at low rpm, but then slowly degrades till I have to pull off the road and let it sit a while.

I have NO idea what causes this type of issue as I've never had a car do this before. Everything is bone stock. Has a one year old blaster 2 hooked up to it. So far I haven't done any diagnostics on it, since I really don't know where to start in a situation like this.

• 2 years later...
My 78 just started doing this sort of crap TODAY. Was getting on the freeway and brought it upto about 5k then all of a sudden the car is running pig rich to the point it dies, and struggles to stay alive with very careful throttling. Had it off for a few minutes and fired it up, ran fine, gave it a good rev to 6k and went off on my way. Keep driving for about a half hour and decide to give it another go. Goes right up to 5k perfect then suddenly acts like someone started dumping too much fuel into it. This time I pull off of the road and keep it alive the best I can and it clears up on its own. Driving home from work, I decide to keep it at a steady 3000rpm and then bring it up briefly to 4k and notice a heavy stumble, quickly slow down and it drives ok at low rpm, but then slowly degrades till I have to pull off the road and let it sit a while.

I have NO idea what causes this type of issue as I've never had a car do this before. Everything is bone stock. Has a one year old blaster 2 hooked up to it. So far I haven't done any diagnostics on it, since I really don't know where to start in a situation like this.

Did you ever fix your problem. ? I'm having the same issue with my 81 zx.

Thank you

Chris

The timeframe of failure means the part is on the engine and subject to engine heat.

Some will refire after "getting over the hump" and run all day just fine..........until the next cold start cycle.

This normally points to the electronics in or on the distributor.