HybridZ

Driver door won't open!

dpuma8

I rolled down my windows the other day and drove to the gas station. When I tried to open the door, it wouldn't open even though the door latch is connected. I ripped the door panel off and everything seems fine except that no matter how hard I pull the handle, the mechanism inside the door doesn't turn enough to be able to open the door.

There are no car locks on my car so how do I get this door open? Is there a great fix for this? I already sprayed WD40 in the joints. My passenger door is similar. I have to pull the handle and use my shoulder to open it.

No, I don't have good weatherstripping and maybe I can do that.............once I figure out someone who can instruct me on how to open the driver's door.

I can't get the latch to lift up so that I can open the door! How do I get the door open?

Absolutely doesn't work. Any other ideas?

On my 77 280z the door release rod that attaches the handle to the door locking mechanism has a threaded end to it with a nut. If you see a nut on yours, turn it DOWN so it makes contact with the release mechanism........ I hope that made sense, I'm extremely tired, bah.

On my 77 280z the door release rod that attaches the handle to the door locking mechanism has a threaded end to it with a nut. If you see a nut on yours, turn it DOWN so it makes contact with the release mechanism........ I hope that made sense, I'm extremely tired, bah.

^^^

On my '79, the nut he is talking about is white and plastic, with what looks like a tube on the end of it. It, in turn, sits in a loop, which when pressed down releases the latch.

I shad a similar problem with my Z when I replaced the door locks. I replaced them, and the doors wouldn't open for anything! I ended up prying open the door with a crowbar, fixing the fresh dent (from the crowbar), and adjusting the latch and hoop in the door frame. Untill I had it adjusted properly, I had to do the following to get IN:

Pull up on the handle

With the handle up, bump the door with my thigh, usung some body weight, right about there the latch mechanism is that I was adjusting (while keeping the handle up)

and the door would pop open.

Hope this helps.

Try using a screwdriver, follow the inside door mechanism rod (horizontal)to one of the opening where the (horizontal)rod and the (vertical) rod are united by a nut/screw, and push forward with screwdriver while holding inside door mechanism open.GOOD LUCK!

Screw down the little white-ish plastic nut on the rod handle, then lift up on the outside door handle. If that doesn't work, use a long screw driver and push down on the flat metal where the plastic from the door handle sits and push on the inside of the door/pull from the outside as you are pushing down on that metal. Oh, make sure your door is not in the locked position. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Screw down the little white-ish plastic nut on the rod handle, then lift up on the outside door handle. If that doesn't work, use a long screw driver and push down on the flat metal where the plastic from the door handle sits and push on the inside of the door/pull from the outside as you are pushing down on that metal. Oh, make sure your door is not in the locked position. :)

Yep that worked for me.

Thanks