HybridZ

280z vs C3

So I have a 76' 280z. I've had it for years through different engines etc-all I6 but none ran quite like the original before a blown head casket. If i didn't try to half ass it ($$$ wise) I'm sure it would help, but it is what it is. I'm at a crossroads. I like how the Z looks, handles, etc. I think part of it is I'm getting bored. I've thought of 302 swap, I6 turbo, 350, but haven't decided. After thinking of these different options I started thinking it sounds like I'm trying to build a C3 vette? But am I?

I can't deny the visual apeal-maybe the only 70's car sexier than mine. It comes with v8power. 2seeter blah blah blah.plus its a 'vette. classic American car.

But it feels like cheating.

I know its a bigger car built completely different. In many circles its not even considered a "sports car" in the way a Z, MG, Jag are.

What I'm getting at: Anyone on here own a C3 vette and a Z? What are the handling, "feel", gut feeling differences? What about MX issues? I know the motors, but what of the rest of it? fiber body but i can fix boats so....

Should I consider one? or just go through with the V8 swap and keep the Z. I know this forum is a little biased but the opinions on here are generally more logical and honest than emotional. I know better than to even bring up this discussion on a vette forum. I guess I don't want to sell my car to get one that I won't be happy with. Are vettes more of a culture thing than an actual good car?

Hopefully some of you have experiance with both and can help me out-thanks a ton for the input and humoring me!!

Brian

I'd say keep the Z.. a good friend of mine has a 75 vette, beautiful to look at and probably gets more looks from little kids but as far as power goes they are nearly the same. We mess around on the highway all the time (both cars are basically stock) and are always dead even. At car shows the Z gets way more props (yeah, I said props) from the car guys mainly because there just aren't as many around - vettes are everywhere. Also, after having driven both cars the Z is a much better handling vehicle and I think has way more potential. But in the end, it's all up to your personal preference, so have fun with whatever you choose!

I think a v8 in a z would be a lot of fun. I am going the L28ET route, but have always been a fan of muscle cars (have a 72 cutlass). Back on topic... My dad has 2 C3's now (had 3) and they definitely go but even with rebuild stock suspension they still feel a little vague. I have only done poly bushings on my car as far as suspension goes and it feels much tighter then the corvettes. Not saying the corvette with suspension mods cant handle well, but the Z does a very nice job. Since you already have the Z I say go for it. You are going to spend at least 10-15k on a nice C3 (unless you get a project which will still be expensive). Do some nice suspension mods and use a modern v8 and gain hp with some nice mpgs. The Z is at least 500-1000 lbs lighter then a C3 (3200lbs i think) so you have the advantage there as well. I say go with the Z and I'm not trying to be biased. I believe you will save money and still be happy with the result.

Iv owned both. My last Corvette was a 67 Big Block 4 speed with sidepipes and a 4:11 rear. Subjectively the car was a ball. The POWER, styling, noise and ooh did I mention the POWER! Handling feel...well, pretty truck-like. Your butt sits almost directly on top of the rear wheel. so lots of bump-thump, jiggle and body motion. My car had the stock 7 leaf rear STEEL spring and Bilstein shocks. The ride was OK on fairly smooth roads---but TERRIBLE on bumpy, wavy surfaces. The C3 chassis was developed in the late 1950s. And the driver is ALWAYS aware of this on the road. When the bushings, ball joints, tie-rod ends, shocks, springs and tires are fresh the car actually has a fairly tight sports car feel. But add a few thousand hard miles and frankly, compared to an S30 the C3 is a squirly, loose, rattly, ill handling beast that can be DANGEROUS with all that power! Make it a convertible or add T-tops and WOW what a rat. An S30 is far more comfortable at high speeds (70-100mph) than almost any STOCK C3. The later C3s (78-82) had a composite/fiberglass rear spring that made a world of difference with RIDE quality. Power steering helped quite a bit too. The rear suspension on a C3 isn't terribly well located. LOTS of TOE-change. Lots of roll-OVERSTEER. Lots of BUMP-STEER. Again---60,000 miles down the road only made things SQUIRRLIER, looser and less secure. S30s do this, only less so. All things being equal and when everything underneath is NEW---compare a C3 to a contemporary OLDS 442. Compare a S30 to a Porsche or an Alfa Romeo.

Edited by Powerglide