HybridZ

Idea from Scottie's car

jeromio

Looking over the pic Scottie has of his car in his sig, that Satin Finish (okay, primer, gel coat, what have you) on the cowl is really starting to grow on me. I don't have Photoshop on this PC or else I'd post a pic with the whole car satinized.

I think it's something worth considering. I've seen a few street rods with a satin finish and the looked very smooth, very distinctive, yet low key.

Don't know much (well, nothing really) about paint, but would not a satin finish be less expensive and easier to apply? Plus, scratches and such would be less noticeable.

Guest greimann

Chrysler actually experimented with satin finishes on some of their show cars, but the general consensus was people are generally attracted to glossy finishes. One reason is that the styling of a car is partly body shape and partly how the light plays off of the subtle features that are built into the body like cut lines, feature lines, bone lines and radiuses. The highlights and reflections are as an important design consideration as is the overall body shape. Satin finishes just don't convey the subtle shapes in a fender and roof as does a glossy finish.

From a practical standpoint, with a gloss finish, if you got minor scratch or abraison, you can usually polish it out. How do you polish it back to satin? This is also true for dirt and bird droppings. Eventually the satin finish will become blotchy with varying degrees of reflection. You will have a difficult time maintaining an even look without regualr repainting. Weather resistance also becomes an issue with a finish that cannot be waxed.

Just some food for thought. ;)

i had an old car that looked like that... it's an old hot rodders trick. you can get the same effect by spraying your car with black primer and then spray a clear coat over it. looks pretty good when it's done right(not really that hard to mess up) i often thought of painting my z like that but adding a coat of gloss black flames on the front hood,fenders, ect..... and then clear coating it leaving a ghosted effect. 2thumbs.gif