HybridZ

Possible Turbo Issues

so at a stoplight the other day i noticed my car started puffing blue smoke when taking off from a stop or reving the engine. no smoke on hard accel, deccel or cruising. i pulled my pop off valve and found oil all over coming from the pcv, checked it and its functioning. i also noticed oil on the spark plug threads. i just had new valve stem seals put on so those are ruled out. the engine has quite a few miles on it but it just happened so sudden that i figured i would of noticed the problem beginning and becoming worse if the rings were crappin out. so i pulled the air filter and noticed my (i know! you dont have to call me names.) ebay t3/t04, has about 2mm of axial play with only 300 miles on it. thats what i get for buyin cheap. no oil in the compressor side but i havent got to check the exhaust side yet. im still at work right now. i will be doing a comp test tonight but i dont have a leakdown tester to check the oil rings. there is no fuel in my oil and no smoke or air coming from the filler cap.

there are so many symptoms. does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Edited by whitechocolatelove

well i ran the test after racing an old guy in a beamer and getting a thumbs up. hoping that my recent victory would for some odd reason mean that more things would go in my favor i found my comp numbers to be 120 straight across. 6 cranks wot mind you. that jumped to 150 and even 160 with oil. not too bad but serviceable. i guess im just gonna tear the old broad apart and refresh her and just hash the turbo anyway, no sense in foolin around with chinsey parts on a car built to perform. you wouldnt buy your wife cheap boobs for a performance application would ya? hell no!

• 5 weeks later...

Oil is leaking past the shaft seals in the turbo with that much play - turbine side.. Evidenced by oil all in the upstream components. How did you break the turbo in? Did you pressurize the oil line prior to starting it? How about keeping the compressor wheel from turning on the first 5 min. of startup? Do you let the car idle for a few minutes after you've been romping on it? I have a cheap SSAutoChrome turbo (after grenading my Garrett) and it's been holding up fine so far (knock on wood). Seems that following proper startup and shutdown (and breakin) procedures can lengthen the life of the turbo.