HybridZ

Axle Shafts???

My basically stock '78 280Z has a bad axle shaft on the drivers side. The univeral joint near the wheel is bad with a lot of play and clanking during load changes. Before I start looking thru the local junk yards, what years are interchangeable with the '78??? Is there a difference between right and left sides??? Best options for finding a replacement via the internet???

Thanks,

Dan

My basically stock '78 280Z has a bad axle shaft on the drivers side. The univeral joint near the wheel is bad with a lot of play and clanking during load changes. Before I start looking thru the local junk yards, what years are interchangeable with the '78??? Is there a difference between right and left sides??? Best options for finding a replacement via the internet???

Thanks,

Dan

I popped an axle U-Joint on Friday afternoon. I pulled the axle, got the U-Joint replaced, and the axle back in the car in under 2 hours. All you need is 2 14mm open end spanners to get the axle off the car.

I used some sockets, and hammer, and a vice to replace the U-Joint in my garage.

The U-Joint at a local parts store was $9.

That's what I recommend.

Edited by FlatBlack