HybridZ

Need an electrical genius

ckolander

Well my current plan for the stereo system is to either get a touch screen stereo and solid state hard drive and link them together for many many gigs of music in car or to try to figure out how to build a miniature in car pc with a touch screen. At my current skill level both are very daunting tasks and I have no idea where to start, but I have imagination and patience and the ability to get insane deals on electronics. I am hoping that there is an electronic genius here who can either guide me step by step ish or something along those lines.

I did try searching but with a couple bazillion results I was overwhelmed.

Well my current plan for the stereo system is to either get a touch screen stereo and solid state hard drive and link them together for many many gigs of music in car or to t ry to figure out how to build a miniature in car pc with a touch screen. At my current skill level both are very daunting tasks and I have no idea where to start, but I have imagination and patience and the ability to get insane deals on electronics. I am hoping that there is an electronic genius here who can either guide me step by step ish or something along those lines.

I did try searching but with a couple bazillion results I was overwhelmed.

Easy Peasy.... ok maybe not that easy but it's definately doable. Have you considered getting a Window's Mobile embeded touch screen DVD/GPS/Stereo, etc, etc, etc? That's the road I went down. A carputer is right up my ally (I'm an Electronics Eng and I did custom car audio installs for years) but the simple all-in-one package of a nice double din touch screen is just too easy. You are going to have to build a custom panel for a double din but there is plenty of room assuming you are putting it in your S130.

post-6495-099855600 1287118786_thumb.jpg

Edited by FricFrac

There is actually a lot of open source support for carputers and mobile entertainment. One of the best OSes i have seen so far is linux ice. I supports movies/dvds, audio, gps and touchscreens. it has a very simple interface as well. http://wiki.openice.org/index.php?title=2009-Dec-14-LinuxICE_2.0_Final a link to linux ice.

As far as hardware goes, there are quite a few intel atom boards out there with car friendly power supplies. Beagle board is also worth a look http://beagleboard.org/