HybridZ

Wrecked Z, need good repair reference in San Diego area

Guest MM_280Z

Guest MM_280Z

Well, last night an woman ran a red light and really did a number to the passenger side of my '75 280Z. I have a badly damaged passenger door and right rear quarter panel and bent control arm. I have insurance approval for repair I just need to tell them where I want it repaired.

I am reluctant to take it just anywhere because the rear quarter panel is involved. Also my $7k paint job will not be easy to replace.

Any references to good collision repair shops in the San Diego, CA (Miramar) area (preferably with Z experience or specialty) will be greatly appreciated! Cost is no object since insurance will pay... I just want it to be done right!

Many thanks in advance!!

Guest MM_280Z

I took a picture of the damage...

carwreck.jpg

I did a search for I-CAR gold class repair places in SD and came up with:

M2 COLLISION CARE CENTERS-SAN DIEGO

MISSION HILLS COLLISION CENTER

MITCHELL INTERNATIONAL-LABOR EDITORS

PACIFIC NISSAN

SAN DIEGO COLLISION CENTER

SUNSETT PAINT & BODY WORKS

Does anyone have experience with any of these? From what I can gather I-CAR Gold Class certification is a mark of a quality repair shop. Is there anything else I can/should be looking for?

I had some work done by a place in Kearny Mesa called BLUE CHIP. They did excellent work on my 96 Prelude Vtec..couldnt have been happier. I got recommended t them by a friend who was also very happy with the work. They do ALOT of high-end work for dealerships (Benz, Jaguar, Porsche etc) and I saw some pretty nasty wrecks leave their shop looking like new. Its been 4 years since I went there so Im not sure if the staff has changed, but i wanted to give you my input. Good luck on the route you take and sorry about your Z.

Jason

I just ran across your post and if you have not taken your car somewhere yet I personaly would recomend Pacific Nissan (I have never had to use any of these places thank goodness). The reason for this recomendation is because Pacific Nissan is on very good terms with the Z club of San Diego and if you happen to be a member of the club you can also get a discount.

I wish you the best on this.

Dragonfly (Vice President Z club of San Diego)

Guest MM_280Z

Thanks for the replies. I visited a few places and ended up choosing Pacific Nissan. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to joining the Z club yet. Dragonfly: how much of a discount and how soon can I join :D ?

I am afraid though that insurance may total the car. I meet with them tomorrow to discuss options.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MM_280Z

Well the story has a (fairly) happy ending...

My new ride...

newcar.jpg

My 280Z was declared a total, however. Anyone interested in a excellent condition parts car? The car was in great condition before the wreck (114 K miles, babied) Engine and auto trans are in great shape (still runs). All the body panels besides the passenger door, rocker and right rear quarter are in perfect, dent and wrinkle free condition (no accidents besides the recent one, and one minor fender bender which involved only the same right rear quarter panel that was damaged recently). Bumpers are good. Interior and all emblems/ paint were replaced 12 yrs. ago and are still in good shape. I'll accept reasonable offers but you need to be able to transport the car from it's location in San Diego. It is towable but not drivable. Some more pictures:

driverside.jpg

front.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Wow, 1975's seem to be damage magnets... I have a '75 that was rearended by someone in a '97 Ford Expedition at about 20mph, but I got $3300 for it from the insurance company. Not bad for a $182 car :D but I don't believe I've ever seen more than 3 or 4 1975's that havn't been wrecked...

Killer new car though 2thumbs.gif

Hey, I like the new car, it's to bad about the 280z but that is all part of life I guess. As for the discount you recive at the local Nissan delearships when you are a club member it is 20%, you also get 10% discounts at several shops and parts stores around town.

The Z Club would still love to have you as a member if you are interested feel free to send me an email, give me a call, or just show up at our next meeting. Our next meeting will be Sept. 3rd at 6:30pm at the Nissan Design center located at 9800 Campus Point Drive, La Jolla.

Dragonfly

(619) 589-6023

• 3 weeks later...