HybridZ

Cold start the triples - video

cygnusx1

Thanks, I was on the fence about using the Weber starter circuits, but I am so glad I did.  Are you using yours?

I opened up the fuse box cover, tapped on the fuses, and the corner marker and dash lights began to work.  Time to break out the, Phillips screw driver, the crimps and dielectric grease.

Edited by cygnusx1

Thanks, I was on the fence about using the Weber starter circuits, but I am so glad I did.  Are you using yours?

My vw has a Solex, a tiny little solex haha, But otherwise I have owned it for only a few days and still getting to know it and all its little gadgets. Its pretty simple but if your talking about the electric automatic choke then yes I'm using it but otherwise not sure what you mean.

The Weber DCOE's have manual "chokes" on them but they are not really chokes, they are "starting circuits" that many people don't connect to the original choke lever on the console.  In the colder climates, it certainly seems to be making a difference.  

Edited by cygnusx1

That starts a lot better then my DD 73' Super beetle, Its not even cold here yet and I have to start it at least 4 times to keep it running. The Z sounds nice though, The paint looks great too.

You have a SERIOUSLY misadjusted carburettor! The PICT 34 will take ONE stomp on the gas pedal and start like CLOCKWORK when it's -42F outside.

A rebuild kit for it is $6, take it all apart and then readjust it like the Robert Bentley Manual Suggests and you should have rock solid cold start reliability on that Beetle.

Sounds to me like you have an issue with the volume adjustment circuit, and likely the mixture adjustment as well. The PICT34's are adjusted with a closed throttle and use a very small mixture screw, with the larger screw acting as a bypass around the throttle plate. When they have poor drivability it's usually because someone screwed up the mixture by instead turning out the volume screw---making it lean as hell.

The Choke Circuit is too simple: Turn the electric element when the carb is stone cold and make sure the fast idle screw is engaged like it's supposed to be. Personally I disable the choke entirely above 40F, but when it gets colder than that I succumb now and let it auto-choke for a little of the warmup time.

Two mandatory pieces of equipment when you are a noob aircooled VW Owner:

John Muir's "Idiots Manual" (Vintage Spiral-Bound editions still available used on Amazon.com!)

The Robert Bentley Official VW Service Manual for the vehicle.

With those two items, there won't be ANYTHING you won't at least be able to look up and see how it's supposed to be done. And with VW's, that's usually a very narrow path!

Edited by Tony D