HybridZ

no headlights ??????

Hey there i have a 78 280z that im finishing up and i cant get any headlights to come on . The high beam [blue light]is indicating that its in high beam mode and doesnt change when you flick the light switch from hi to lo . I checked my fuses and have ho power to the fuses when everything is turned on [no power to the fuses at all.] Any ideas on what the problem is ? any help is appreciated thanks Greg

OK there is power to the fuses in the car as well as the links. I shecked the headlight plug with the lights on and one side of the plug was hot [thick red with white stripe]but the ground wire in the middle of the plug was not grounding . so i thought i found the problem with the no ground in the plug issue . After a few minutes of tinkering im now getting a VERY dim light on one side of the plug instead of a strong bright light [inconsistant]Does anyone here think its the switch?

Lights are working !!!! yeah high beam low beam all of it. I ended up cleaning all the connections at the switch, fuseable links and plug ins to the headloghts at the bulb and harness and that took care of it. The switch still feels good so well see how it goes

Edited by autospot

It is usually related to the connections in front of the radiator or in the headlight housings. There are also splices on the right side that are about 6" back from the right connector. You will find them if you unwrap a little. The splices are not well insulated, so do this with the fuses removed.