HybridZ

LS/T56/240z Project Mentor Wanted

Keith:

Love your photos and yes they could be larger. Ingenious idea for the clutch master cylinder restraint.  I will use that idea on mine and also for the brake master cylinder as I changed mine without a power booster (manual brakes).  There will be more pedal pressure put on the brakes as they are manual.  These are the type ideas that really count!

Front swaybar is back on-car was back together for a few minutes.  Found some "play" in the front end.  Thought initially it was a bad or loose TC rod, but I think I've got a loose shock insert (something else to keep me from racing in the spring-what's another project??).  Ordered the droop limiter straps: 10" rear, 9" front.  Ordered more exhaust parts (decided I gotta have Doug's Headers cutouts instead of QTP, so another return to process).  The QTP has exposed mechanicals that I don't think will do well inside the wheelwell, the cutout really restricts the opening, V-band installation isn't possible and the instructions say to clean and lubricate it monthly. Supposedly, the Doug's unit is mainenance free, and I don't see any exposed mechanicals.  Screwed up an order for some spring rubbers-gotta unscrew that tomorrow.  Put car up on jackstands where it should remain until the exhaust is done.  Cleaned and cleaned and cleaned the garage.  Ordered a SWAG adapter for my new Milwaukee portaband.  Gonna drop driveshaft tomorrow night and box it up to ship back to JCI on Tuesday. 

Dropped driveshaft-actually pried it out.  Somewhere between my original build and changing the clutch and changing the diff the dimensions have changed, although it was a tight fit before.  Sending driveshaft back to JCI to have it made 5/8" shorter and to have them look at a new driveshaft that has same size yokes but a bigger and thicker tube.  Going out to make box and get it labeled.  Of course the new driveshaft loop made this a bigger job than it used to be.  Dreading having an exhaust system, but I want to autocross and I know the exhaust needs to exit behind the driver.  And the SCCA club in Little Rock is pretty picky (at least they used to be 10 years ago).  All good things must come to an end.

I wish I could have figured out a location that was farther outboard on the front LCA. I'm also curious to see how much the nylon straps stretch. More photos after straps arrive. Got delayed a day cause they didn't have all same brand/color in stock. Told them to send any color they had.

Spring rubbers arrived to help me play with stiffening the rear springs without having to totally disassemble the rear suspension to change spring rates.  Sanderson LS1 headers arrived.  Gonna get those installed in order to figure out how to modify them to improve fit and adapt them to v-bands.

They just shove in between coils when you jack up the car.  Johnc says to be careful because it raises the spring rate and can make the car have serious oversteer.  I'd use them for drag only, so oversteer is only an issue if it gets sideways-which it can.  He's recommending taller bumpstops to only allow 1" of travel and leave the spring rate alone.  The only problem is that removing or adding bump stops requires disassembling the strut.  I'm hoping to get a coil over to my buddies shop this weekend and put it in his coil spring tester and see what effect one and two spring rubbers has on spring rate.

Edited by RebekahsZ

OK.  Rear droop limiters were a success, but the fronts were a bust!  The fronts went together OK, but when I lowered the jack from under the tire, the inner fender sheetmetal tweeked immediately. :icon11: . I thought I was spreading the load out adequately, but I was wrong. So, back to the drawing board on that.  I'll try to make a bracket that mounts on the bottom of the EMI camber plate and get a longer strap and attach it to the swaybar, but that will have to wait until exhaust is done.

Attached are photos of the rear.  The photos of the wheel show before and after.  I only set it up tight enough to keep the spring on the seat.  It still has about 3" of droop and I've got 2 holes of adjustment both up and down.  That turned out about perfect.

post-5903-0-24237800-1360039957_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-30459100-1360039974_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-82778900-1360039988_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-11584800-1360039999_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-66666400-1360040011_thumb.jpg

Try polyperformance.com. It is called a limit strap. They can custom make to your length. Expensive. Do not copy my front strap design-it works but the inner fender sheet metal is too weak. I thought it might be and kind of took a chance. And bent my inner fender. Once I hammer it back straight I'm gonna try a different approach. Glad clutch reinforcement worked.

I just realized a compounding factor with the front limit straps.  I was fighting the additional spring force of the swaybar with I was jacking only a single wheel.  Next time try that I need to jack up both front wheels at the same time to take the swaybar out of the equation.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Jegs order arrived-Doug's dual 2.5" cutouts and stainless hangers with high-temp silicone grommets.  Borla XR-1 is at tig welders getting v-band flange and stinger welded on it.  I expect that "muffler" to be pretty loud.  I ordered QTP cutouts earlier.  The Doug's look leaps and bounds nicer and are tons (well, not really tons) lighter.  Unfortunately there is a big sticker that warns me not to weld to them, but I'm afraid I plan to overlook that and put V-bands and an exhaust hanger on them.  I hear that Doug's actually honors their warranty, but I really want the v-bands for flexibility.  If I use a 3-bolt flange and get the angle wrong, I can't just spin it like I can a v-band setup.  I may be able to finish the muffler mock-up before the weekend.  The first shipment of Columbia River mandrel bends is seriously delayed.  Not too happy with the shipping delay there.

post-5903-0-71990800-1360209614_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-78839200-1360209624_thumb.jpg