HybridZ

Another S30 Turbo Project

Today I will try hard-grounding the solenoid and seeing if I can get it to clear 8psi boost. Obviously I don't want to run it like that permanently because, assuming it's operating, I would be allowing for infinite (theoretical) boost.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I kinda did that with mine recently, but didn't do anything with the solenoid, I wired my wastegate shut with mechanics wire to see if I could get more boost. lol It seems I have a mechanical issue that is limiting boost for some reason. Arg.

I was going to attach a button to press while driving to the solenoid ground side, to check that, that way I could see it spike a little and let off quickly.

I did the mechanics wire thing instead. LOL

Edited by Six_Shooter

Yes, using Megasquirt II V3.0. Got your PM.

Meanwhile... my beloved 280 is becoming impractical as a daily driver. She's now on Craigslist:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/2535193421.html

I will continue to work on it until it sells, but I'm about ready for a simple, boring, daily driver - like maybe a BMW M3 :)

Still working fuel pressure issue. I let the car idle for 10 minutes and it drove fine. I drove it for 5 minutes after that and it drove fine... then, out of nowhere, it started leaning out again. I drained the fuel tank and will blow out the lines in the tank and under the body to see if I can knock loose any obstructions.

I found a schematic of the 1975-76 fuel tank online: http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuel/gastank/index.htm

But someone help me here - aren't the "outlet" and "return" lines reversed in the picture?

If no one chimes in here, I may move this plea for help over to another thread.

Update - radiator shop found a large quantity of rust in the tank. It's currently being cleaned, sealed, and painted. They're also welding on AN fittings for the outlet (-8) and return (-6) lines, so I can use braided stainless fuel lines with AN fittings in place of the rubber hose. I need to pick up two 5/16-to-AN male adapters for the stock hardlines, and another six female AN fittings for my three braided hoses. Just for my own notes, here's the fuel layout at the tank:

Line 1(TANK TO PUMP):

8AN-male(welded to tank)

8AN-female hose end

1/2" braided hose (1ft)

8AN-female hose end

8AN-male to 10x1.0mm (to Walbro pump)

Line 2 (PUMP TO FEEDLINE):

10x1.0mm to 6AN-male (from Walbro pump)

6AN-female hose end

3/8" braided hose (2ft)

6AN-female hose end

6AN-male to 5/16 hardline adapter

Line 3 (RETURNLINE TO TANK):

5/16 hardline to 6AN-male adapter

6AN-female hose end

3/8" braided hose (2ft)

6AN-female hose end

6AN-male (welded to tank)

Bill of materials (tank adapters already purchased):

1ft 1/2" braided stainless hose

4ft 3/8" braided stainless hose

2x 8AN female hose end

4x 6AN female hose end

1x 8AN-to-10x1.0mm adapter

1x 6AN-to-10x1.0mm adapter

2x 6AN-to-5/16 tube adapter

Got all my fittings (except one 5/16 to -6 tube adapter) and my fuel tank back. The guys at the shop were kind enough to give me a Zip-Lock bag with a sample of the rust they extracted from the tank. They said the fuel pickup line was pretty clogged - a good sign that this may be the cause of my low fuel pressure issues! I'll be reinstalling the tank and attempting to fuel it up tomorrow. Here's to hoping for good news!

I will also post pics tomorrow of the new fuel setup and the bag-o-rust. :)

Pics postponed - too busy installing parts to take pictures...

I got the fuel tank back in, took it for a test drive, and fuel pressure was rock solid! The radiator shop described "globs of rust" that were clogging the fuel pickup tube, so I fully expect that my fuel pressure issue has been dealt with.

I also hard-grounded the boost solenoid (see post #101) and confirmed that the solenoid is working fine. By which I mean the boost rapidly shoots up to 15psi and would probably continue on, unrestricted, until pistons started flying out the hood. :) I noticed that the boost climbs very quickly from 10psi on up, so I gotta be really careful until I get the solenoid back under Megasquirt control!

Bottom line: fuel pressure issue solved, solenoid working. Now back to troubleshooting boost control in Megasquirt. And the Z-car lives again!

:) Good question! This is my only Z, and I have been lovingly asked by my spouse to please stop throwing money and time at it. So I promised to list it on Craigslist. Meanwhile, I wanted to make sure it was healthy and drivable before I sold it, which I seem to have accomplished. So now I will enjoy driving it daily until someone else purchases it... Edited by AtlantaZ