HybridZ

Is my oil pump dead?

Lazeum

• Administrators

What is shown in Braap's post is actually a different way to make a threaded insert. Personally in that instance a nice Keen-Sert or Rosanne Insert would have worked for me. I don't know that I would have 'manufactured' one! ...;)

We generally just Heli-coil, but that particular bolt hole was beyond using over the counter inserts being grossly oversized, offset, and angled, hence the offset of the custom DIY insert. :wink:

I like the set-screw idea for the head oil supply, similar to fuel metering jets for carbs... ;- )

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, given the availablity of Holley or Rochester jets, a custom milled application would be already available to screw right in!

Externally though, with the double plug external feed line, the head gasket will never weep oil there ever again...regardless of pressures encountered!

A 10mm Keen Sert is close to that size, and has nice coarse threads to make removal/refreshing easier...

Edited by Tony D

BRASS or tool steel! A hardened setscrew will be a pain to perforate!

I used setscrew as it was shorter than saying "brass internally-wrenched hex screw"! :blink:

A simple one can be made using a standard brass screw, drilling the center, cutting it off, and then using a hacksaw to cut a screwdriver groove in the top. Loctite or staking it in place will keep it from getting loose.

• 10 months later...

This thread is old but I've got one question which is not worth opening a new one.

My engine is now torn down, I brought it to the machine shop this morning.

I believe previous rebuild was not done right: cylinder bores honing marks are gone, there're vertical markings on every bore (very light, I can't feel them with fingers), ring gaps are too big, piston skirts have scratches also, etc...

Anyhow, My question is very simple. I've removed the oil plugs on front & back sides but I still see something which looks like a plug, I'd like to know what is it? A valve for oil pressure? Should I remove it before machine work?

photo014.jpg

Thanks in advance for help.

To answer the previous post, I decided to stay with pressed-in inserts (given by Braap :) with the new HF pump )

Edited by Lazeum