HybridZ

hood vents?

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

do you think something like this would work on a Z?

http://www.rx7.com/cgi-local/3catalog.cgi?cat=5&part=5

i don't mean 2 vents, but only one recessed, opposite facing vent somewhere along the bulge in the hood, with maybe a little vent on one side where the turbo is...what do you guys think? i'm just trying to get ideas of how i want the finished product to look! thanks!

...or even http://www.rx7.com/pics/et720340.jpg

There's an article available on line describing a step-by-step method of fabricating such a hood mod. He does it on a 240SX but I think it could work nicely on a 240-280Z. I can't find it but maybe someone else has saved it, or search "hood scoops". DAW

I`ve got a (85)Z31 factory turbo hood scoop.

The opening faces forward.

Don`t know if this was anything you were thinking about?

I use it on my early Z to get air to carbs(triple webers), I thought it looked good. It was functional!

I got a deal on a vented 280 hood and went with it!

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

kind of, but not as pronounced, more of just an 1" or 1 1/2" slot towards the top of the "hump" at the front of the hood, with some mesh or something over it. anyone have any ideas about this? or how much it would be to fabricate it? thanks.

I'll inject an opinion here. My suggestion would be to have the wide but short vents lying on both sides of the power bulge, where the inside edges of the vents blend into the sides of the power bulge. This was what I was going to do with a hood provided I left the L6 in the car.

I have wondered many times what to do w/my hood vents (78z)if and when I ever go V8. I dont like the rain dripping down on my engine now-the rain drops right thru down on the fusible links of my factory set up Inliner....water & electonics; especially the fusible links, I just dont like that. The fusible link plastic covers have broken and fallen off many moons ago.

Anyway, I've thought about fab'g those 85z turbo scoops in place of the 78 hood vents and also fab'g the 70/80's Pontiac T/A's fender vents into the fender of my Z. I would also run a tube from my inner fender wells to these fender vents and in those tubes run small electric fans spliced into my ratidator fan-this way when the radiator fan kicks in-so will the fender vent fans and this should move the hotter engine air out.

I've also seen some hood scopps in the Summit Catalogue, under the "Truck/SUV" section. These hood scoops were by Lund Inc. The only problem is they are held on by 3m tape. I dont have any experiece w/tape held on scoops. I would prefer to graph them into my hood somehow-dont need them coming off at hwy speeds; or being stolen by some thug.

These are the hoods I'm talking about:

http://www.weathers.com/Lund/Hood%20Scoops.htm

The scoops are @ $30 cheaper thru Summit. It appears there is a slight lip on these scoops-so surely rivet that lip to your hood if you dont mind the "Road Warrior" effect or for a cleaner install you could graph them into your hood.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

i guess a hood with a vent like terry's would work, just not as pronounced. like the silver rx7 hood here..... http://www.rx7.com/cgi-local/3catalog.cgi?cat=5&part=5 .....and maybe without the little dividing line. the vent would probably be far enough forward so that nothing could drip down on the engine. it would most likely go right through to the ground. it would almost me like taking he bulge outof the hood, but i don't know how that would look (good or bad). i'm trying to mix the classic lines with modern tech and see what happens.

for those of you who do fab hoods and stuff, how much does it cost to make one? and would you be willing to put one together if given the proper compensation? just wanting to know for future reference, i pick up the baby on october 5th! thanks.

Guest Anonymous

Kevin,

Heres a thought on what to do with those vents on the 280z. This is Jon's Ford powered car, I think he has the vent in a different place and only the one, but with two of them, some bits of hose or imagination with a air cleaner box on a V8 car they could easily be used for fresh air. Dig:

09adcp_2685.jpg

Regards,

Lone

Yep, Lone-looks like a very functional set up; especially like the air filter housing.

BTW-visited your site, Lone nono.gif Does your wife know you made a reference to her weight(?), shame shame. My lips are sealed-mum's the word; anyway, it was just a reference & no actual #'s given. I'm sure if she does know then you have received a few elbows to the ribs. :D

Also downloaded your soundbite of your flowtech. Now I am really jealous-that is the sound I would like eminating from my Z-sounded very good, very, very nice indeed.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Anonymous

Dan, to do hood vents like the ones you are portraying, a Zee fiberglass hood may be a starting point. This style of hood vent would help evacuate engine heat and the heat flow out of the radiator. There is an ongoing thread about tailights that is 6+ pages long.On the last page, Tim 240 Z posted what appears to be a slew of Z's at some show. About in the middle is this very interestng frontal view of a red Z with an interesting hood vent.I have recently took up the hobby of fiberglass and having a really good time after the basics are mastered. I will soon be making my first (small) mold of (2)louvers in the style you are portraying to ride low on the hood. I have found that a combination of composites are desirable ie: fine weave cloth. light mat, and fiberglass gel with fiberglass strands. I am also at the end of this very expensive 2 part bonding substance called "Sea Goin Putty" by Permalite Plastics. I will obtain some gelcoat and release wax and will be making my first molds of the right and left louvers.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Kevin Shasteen:

BTW-visited your site, Lone nono.gif Does your wife know you made a reference to her weight(?), shame shame. My lips are sealed-mum's the word; anyway, it was just a reference & no actual #'s given. I'm sure if she does know then you have received a few elbows to the ribs. :D

Well I donno maybe she did, I got something even worse than a poke in the ribs, I got a kick in the teeth actually, while I was down here taking care of my brother after his accident I got a letter asking for a divorce. Ahem, hence my living here now.. :rolleyes: Its all good though, she had a good job and I get spousal.. haha.. ;)

Regards,

Lone

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Edz280zx

I'll see if I can explain this right. In some of the old manuals I have it says there was a factory optional hood duct on the first gen cars that aleviated some of the underhood temps and the problems with the carbs had with vapor lock. It basically was another hood bulge that bolted over the existing bulge. You were to cut the top off the "hood" bulge and the new bulge had a slit in the drivers side that would let cool air in/out of the engine compartment. I myself have never seen one in person or in a picture other than the original Nissan drawing. Has anybody else? :confused:

Edz260z soon with 350 tunedport!