HybridZ

quick welding helmet question

mobythevan

Does anyone own an Astro 8070 auto darkening helmet. This helmet seems to be very well priced at $90 with solar recharging, adjustable dark to light time, adjustable shade 9-13. Just wondering if anyone had an opinion on them. They are made by Astro Pneumatics. Function wise it seems identical to the hobart hood which is priced at $170??

Thanks

I bought this el-cheapo adjustable auto darkening helmet from Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46092

I was a little concerned when I first got it. It seemed really cheesy because it is so light weight and flimsy. But after using it awile I have to say it is well worth it. The light weight makes it super comfortable to use and the electronics, at least for the short time I have had it, work flawlessly.

My only real complaint is the head band is not very sturdy so I can see it failing at some time in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I just bought this one for $125 at a flea market tool booth. They had the Sears catalog showing the retail $200 price, so I bought it on the spot. I like it just fine so far, and it's a Hobart. Adjustable darkening knob, and padded "smell stop" forehead pad. Plus it looks cool, hehe.,,,,SZ

flamehood.jpg

That is the exact helmet I ended up buying. I love it, works great. The first project i used this helmet on was a stand for my wood stove. It is great to be able to use both hands and know where I am starting the weld. I paid $169 shipped for mine, it was new. Good deal on yours, I know you'll like it.

FWIW... all the instructors at the Lincoln Welding School use standard lens helmets. All of them can get any Lincoln welding helmet they want for free and all prefer not to use the auto darkening ones. Their reason - too heavy and they tend to flash with extended use and heat.

All the professional welders I know use the professional-style, autodarkening helmets. They have a re-breather setup so that you don't end up breathing in your own "exhaust" (CO2) and getting tired after welding for 4-5 hours straight.

The fancy ones also darken quicker (measured in microseconds) and are adjustable.

My personal helmet weighs less than the old static one I replaced it with - which is just coincidental. The darkening unit is not heavy at all (2 AAA batteries).

That Hobart helmet looks good - that price looks even better.

Autodarkening is really the way to go. If you've ever even been tempted to hold a part in position with one hand and then just squinch your eyes shut, then you really need to get one of these suckers. Makes everything much easier.