HybridZ

Blowing signal/gauge fuse, only when running

So I'm having a few issues. My Z had been sitting for the last 2 or 3 months without being driven (garage kept, highly doubt it was rodent related), and today on the second day of putting it back into service it's started blowing the third fuse down on the left, the turn signal and tach/fuel/amp gauges power feed fuse ONLY when the car is running.

I've looked through the wiring diagrams and can't understand what the car running would have to do with anything. I also tried unplugging the hazard switch, with no change, so it must be something related to the gauges. Do any of you have a better understanding of things and have an idea for me? I'm really trying to avoid pulling the gauges and starting the arduous process of wire tracing in the harness :(

Not sure if it's related or not, but my alternator stopped charging around the same time. Ran the battery dead, went home tested it and found it not giving any charge. It's an Autozone reman so I'm going to go warranty swap it, but I figured I'd mention it in case someone thinks they're related.

Edited by TrumpetRhapsody

Unplugged the tach and all the gauge connections... which as far as I know is everything that green wire from the third down left fuse goes to. Unless someone knows something I don't, it must be a short somewhere... I just don't understand why the motor running triggers it.

FIXED! :D

Ok so I replaced the alternator, and it still wasn't charging... so I spec'd the two wires going into the plug, and I wasn't getting my switched +12v source to excite the alt. Did some digging into the electrical diagrams and found out that wire ties into the green wire (my blown fuse circuit). As it turns out, the alternator was blowing that circuit. With the new alternator and a new fuse, everything is back to normal.

Moral of the story? Autozone re-manufactured stuff SUCKS. Some might consider 2 years a good run.... I don't. I've had and heard of plenty of other longevity issues to attribute this to random chance. It wouldn't be worth the trouble if it wasn't for their lifetime warranty.