HybridZ

Sparco Evo in S30

Just picked up a used Sparco Evo for $40. Too good to pass up, so I plan on putting it in my '78.

It looks like there's a few people running Sparcos, but I'm not seeing a lot of Evo's. It's looking to me like the fitment is going to be REALLY tight, especially considering the door clearance. I'll be making custom brackets too, but it should be interesting. It's being reupholstered right now, but I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions or tips before I start putting it in.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions or tips before I start putting it in.

Cut out the factory seat mounts and use some channel with holes or the box steel with the holes in it, bolt it directly to the floor. :D I have a similar style seat but a different brand, I am mounting it without sliders but not directly on the floor. If you plan a cage, directly on the floor will allow better head clearance.

The EVO is a similar sized seat to my Recaro. My Recaro was a bit of a pain to get in because it is a full halo seat. Clearances were almost non-existant, but with careful measuring and drilling/cutting, I was able to make it fit. I used some channel steel that I got at Home Depot.

I'm assuming your EVO seat is a "bottom" mount and does not have side mount brackets? My Recaro is a side mount - as is the Momo in the passenger side, so your install may be considerably different. Can you tell us if it's a bottom or side mount?

• 1 month later...

Cut out the factory seat mounts and use some channel with holes or the box steel with the holes in it, bolt it directly to the floor. :D I have a similar style seat but a different brand, I am mounting it without sliders but not directly on the floor. If you plan a cage, directly on the floor will allow better head clearance.

Do not bolt a seat directly to the floor pans. They are not strong enough to keep the seat in place in an accident. Build seat mounts out of tubing. If necessary, sink the tubing so its flush with the top of the floor pan. Again, do not bolt the seats to the floor pan. The seat will rip out in any kind of wreck.

Do not bolt a seat directly to the floor pans. They are not strong enough to keep the seat in place in an accident. Build seat mounts out of tubing. If necessary, sink the tubing so its flush with the top of the floor pan. Again, do not bolt the seats to the floor pan. The seat will rip out in any kind of wreck.

That is why I said use some channel. Will this not work as a well enough re-enforcement? :( I was told by the guy I purchased my seat from that he passed tech in SCCA and NASA with the seat mounted like this. I see your point, bolts alone would not hold on the floor pan.

What about using large washers to spread the force on the pan? Or welding in re-enforcement plates across them, such as used to install a cage.