HybridZ

Can't decide which engine to swap in my z32. Help!

Boosted Raw

Hello peeps i'm new to the z world. I bought a 1991 300zx shell. I have been doing research on what motor to swap in. I want to be different. Now the motors that I am debating are the CA18DET, RB20DET, and an LT1.

Now I was originally thinking the LT1 but after seeing whats needed to perform the swap (mainly cutting the car up) i decided not to. Also I would like to keep it Nissan too now. I don't want to spend gobs of money on the motor alone so the ca18det and the rb20det are my 2 choices now.

It isn't my daily driver and I would like about 350whp before a complete build and then shoot for 500whp. Now all I'm asking for is advise on the 2 motors not both of them dnt make enough power or torque to move the z32. Ive done a motor swap before on my subaru and honda civic so it isnt new to me.

Oh and the car will be used as a weekend toy. And I would also love to learn how to drift. :-)

Thanks for anyone who helps me out.

Skip both, a stock TT motor with basic bolt on's would put you where you want to be and then some for ALOT less money and headache. plus I don't think you could make a little CA push 350WHP without a major build, same goes for the RB. Even if you do build them to make the power, the power curve is going to be fairly up there. and on top of all that you would still have a torqueless motor.

Hoov is totally right. If youre not looking to spend "gobs of money" build up a stock VG twin turbo motor. You should be able to learn to drift with it and you can build them up to the power levels youre looking for if decide you are ready for more power.

Edited by h4nsm0l3m4n

Ok well I dnt have the money for a tt motor right now. Could I get a n/a motor and do a rear mount setup. Yea it might be laggy but it will give me that extra umph that I will like to have. Cause I can get a vg30de and tranny for about $700 and I can just rebuild the motor and drop the compression in it right?