a stock 300 hp 350 for about the same

money.

Which is better?

Both came out of 1971 vehicles.

Both were 300hp from Chevrolet.

The 350 has more ccs, but the 327

has a shorter stroke.

Which would be better?

Either one is a winner. It really is up to you and your preference,I personally love 327's but have a 350 in my Z as I didnt have access to a 327 at the time. Love them sbc's.

Mike

1971 saw a reduction in rated power from GM. '70 was the last year of the regular 300hp 350. The LT1 in '71 was rated at 330 hp and if this is the motor you can get, snap it up. (9.5:1 compression, steel crank, forged pistons, 4 bolt mains, big valve heads with screw in studs, aluminum intake and Holley 780)Otherwise, highest hp was the 270 hp (These are both Corvette powerplants, Camaros were 10hp less and the 330 hp was only in the 'vette or F-body.) I don't think you could get a 327 in '71 since it was replaced by the 307 in early '69. Anybody else confirm that? Base your decision first on what the powerplants are/were and next on what you plan to do with it. If one has 5,000 miles and the other one 500,000 miles, get the lower mileage motor. If you want a motor that turns 7500 rpm, the 327 is probably a better choice, but if driveability with a small hydraulic cam is the goal, go 350. IMO, it doesn't make a ton of difference, just preference. I like 'em both.

AFAIK, The last small journal 327 came in 1967 cars and trucks. For 1968 and 69, it was a large journal crank 327 (same journal sizes as the 350). I'm about 100% positive that there weren't 327's available after 1969. BTW, the 307 has the same journal sizes and stroke as a 68/69 327.

Crank materials:

62-67 327 - Tufftrided Forged Steel

68-69 327 - Tufftrided? Forged Steel & cast iron

68+ 307 - cast only? Maybe trucks had forged?

One thing I've come to a conclusion on (I think) relative to 327 versus 350: You can go a bit wilder on the cam in a 350 and still have decent low end torque. The 327's shorter stroke and 23 fewer cubes have the cam company tech people suggesting smaller cams to me as I want to go a bit radical. Something to consider.

That said, the 327 is a nice bore/stroke for higher rpm use.

There were some 307 forged cranks. I had a friend get one from a boat (!?) motor. Like a 305 and 350, counterweights are different. Unless you have a set of lightweight pistons plan on spending a little more for balancing. 327 large journal steel cranks are out there as well, but not common.