HybridZ

Black Chrome trim

Georgia Flash

Hello I was wondering something, I have seen more than a few sweet Z cars on the web that have been given the "black out treatment". By this I mean they have blacked out the chrome somehow.

Is this just painted chrome? I thought that paint would not adhere to chrome all that well. I am interested in doing this to my 75 Z so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

An "old" method I used with a 60's model chrome parts was to prepare the surface with a scotchbrite pad. This will take some work being you have to turn the shine into dull. Then I lightly primed it, and then painted it. Big thing to remember is keep the coatings (primer and paint) to the very minimum thickness (just enough to cover) I can't recal if there are conversion coatings for SS, but if so, these would be recommended being the I believe the drip rail and windshield trim is SS, and not chrome.

i will be doing the powerdercoating clear black withing the next 3 months, so once it is done i'll show you some pics, my oppion it looks fantastic... crome on a car makes people look at it more, and the more people that look at it, the more people that want to take it, the clear black is a good alternative

You are right in saying the 'black-out' treatment is merely paint. However, there is another option: powdercoating. You can do either a clear black that lets the metallic nature of the chrome shine though or an opaque black that covers it all. If you are going to do an opaque black, just use spray paint in the manner suggested by Terry & Mike.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

RacerX,

I would be interested in this, if it wouldn't be too much trouble. Don't worry about it though, I just thought if you didn't mind, I would like to read it, it sounds interesting...

TIA, No worries though,

Kris

Thanks for the advice Racer X. I was pretty sure my late great old man once told me (when I was a little teenie bopper) "son that paint aint gonna stick to that chrome". Back then I had a 1973 Ford Pinto Uggggghhhhhhhh!!! bonk.gif

I will try your advice on the side window trim because I really want that "black out look". I have already removed the trim on the rain gutters so thats not a problem and also have taken the trim out of the front and back windows. I shaved the trim gutters or valleys with a razor.

Thanks again everyone.

Guest Anonymous

Another way to prep chrome for painting is to spray it with EZ Off oven cleaner, it etches the chrome so the primer will stick and allows you to use regular primer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

There is such as thing as black chrome, or black nickel finish. In my opinion, it looks great, kind of like hematite. The name is the only way to describe it, its black, but its also chrome.

Unfortunately, it is also a highly toxic process, moreso than standard chrome plating is. There are few outfits left that do this, and it is very expensive. I was going to have my last bike done up with a few black chrome parts, but abandoned the idea.

Guest Anonymous

Black out Chrome:

Powercoating works well for these parts. Eastwood sells a economical version of powercoating system. You can use a regular oven

or infared drying lights to do the curing.

Aloha,

Sunny

• 9 months later...
Guest BadKarmaCreepin

is ther a way to shave it down so there are still trim pieces on the side but no "rain gutter" action going on? and how would one go about removing the trim on the sides? what's underneath the trim? and is it black? reviving the old thread, gotta love it!