HybridZ

project 460zx

richracing

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to pass on some advice... do you see the area of the frame where it meets the firewall??? there is a triangular section there that needs 1/8" plating on both inside and outside to help carry the weight of the engine. AFter you weld on the plate run some 1 x 1/8 strap on the firewall side to help spread it out on the firewall. I learned this from a guy here locally that dropped a 351 windsor in his and the frame bent right up against the firewall from the extra torque of the bigger motor. I pulled my 302 out and plated mine after seeing the damage done to his.

• 2 months later...

Wow, quite a bit higher than I expected, (with the eminent hood scoop and all...) If the engine was forward a few inches, could you drop it down lower? I wasn't sure if you were trading off engine height clearance with CG issues?

Hey Yellowoctupus-

You live in Summerville? I live West Ashley. Like to see your car some time, currently putting a 5.0 in mine at the moment. Give me a call at 843-607-0058.

Scott

PalmettoZ, so you're the one with the 3.1 up for sale.... I'll toss you a line after work. Great to find another local Zguy.

Hey-

I left my cell phone on the fence near the garage yesterday afternoon, and forgot and left it there last night. :o Needless to say its toast after that storm last night. I'll be getting another one after work today, so if you call and I don't pick up leave a message and I'll call you back. Same phone number. Would like to see your project.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Oh bummer, I'm in the Navy, and WE'RE moving this year too, otherwise I'd offer to store it at my place. (which of course is putting on some serious pressure to get my car running so I can drive it wherever Uncle Sam says we're going to next!)

Hey Phil-

Dropped off my drive shaft at CSR on Thursday and the owner said that you had been in there a few days prior and dropped off your flange and drive shaft as well. His shop doesn't look like much from the outside but it appears that he knows what he is doing.

Scott

Hey Phil-

Dropped off my drive shaft at CSR on Thursday and the owner said that you had been in there a few days prior and dropped off your flange and drive shaft as well. His shop doesn't look like much from the outside but it appears that he knows what he is doing.

Scott

Hey Scott,

Yeah, that's some uncanny timing for you. I picked mine up on Friday, and he's telling me, yeah, a guy you know dropped off a d/s to get basically the same modification done you're getting. I was pretty doubtful of that fact at first, but then it hit me, and sure enough I do know that guy! I basically had all my joints and adapters etc all lined up knowing what I wanted when I went in, but yeah, he seemed like he's been doing it for a while. I had a brand new shaft made up b/c I didn't trust the already modified shaft I had to get shortened. Not the cheapest, but I don't want that to ever pop up and give me problems. How's yours coming?

~Phil (PS, I thought I was going to be out in WA this weekend, but our plans fell through. I'll get out your way eventually...)