HybridZ

Fs5w71c rebuild problems

datsunranger

I picked up a 87 200sx 5-speed transmission at my local wrecking yard and planned on swapping out my old 4-speed with it. I ordered a bearing and syncro kit, but when I went to disassemble the fs5w71c the counter drive gear, it wouldn't budge. Is there any trick to getting this thing apart, or do i just really need to put some muscle into this gear puller?

Any help would be appreciated

I should have been more descriptive from the start, but basically according to the FSM I have to pull of this counter gear to pull off the input shaft. I was just worried that there might be some kind of trick to popping this gear off and me trying to muscle it off with a gear puller might damage it.

Any help would be great

the picture has arrows pointing to what im talking about, sorry their a bit faint.

post-13770-024358000 1290797440_thumb.jpg

Edited by datsunranger

I believe you are working from the wrong end of the trany. Start removing parts at the other end of the main shaft. remove the large nut and 5th gear parts, once all of that has been removed you can slide the main shaft and cluster gear out of the center section brgs and the disassemble the entire gear stack. At that point you have access to all parts of the trany. I would replace all bearings and synchros as needed, using aftermarket brgs from a bearing supply house, as they will much cheaper than factory parts.

You should invest in a factory service manual for these kinds of repairs unless you are very experienced.

My $.02

Mongo