HybridZ

Skidpad testing video

I have finally been able to play with the new track car a little this Holiday. I couldn't have it ready for an actual track event yet, But I have been able to kill a few gremlins by registering it for street use. I did pretty well getting the systems functioning and set up the first time. It works beautifully for normal street driving.

I had an issue with spark plug boots burning on the shorty headers.

The cooling fan circuits had to be changed to accomodate the high speed setting on the Ford 2-speed fan.

Brake bias was easy enough to sort out. I have the Beta-Motorsports dual master cylinder mechanism and the Arizona-Z-car Wilwood brakes.

I had to get rid of my Wink 5-panel Mirror because it was too big and too close. I used a windsheild mounted version instead.

Suspension will need a little more tuning to get it right. Weight bias is off and ride height is going to be changed.

My first real problem only shows up on freeway ramps at high speed. It is actually hard to induce on a ramp becuase it is hard to stay in the throttle long enough and with enough cornering forces to be safe in traffic. But it definitely stalls and sputters under hard cornering forces. I found a nice circle with a fairly steep hill nearby to do some torture testing. I raised the float levels with a quarter turn of the adjusters, but I did not take out the bowl plugs with the engine hot. I know I initially set them where they would not overflow from the bowl plug holes while idling at 1100 RPM. It seemed low at the time, evidently it is.

Anyway, Here is the video.

My first real problem only shows up on freeway ramps at high speed. It is actually hard to induce on a ramp becuase it is hard to stay in the throttle long enough and with enough cornering forces to be safe in traffic. But it definitely stalls and sputters under hard cornering forces. I found a nice circle with a fairly steep hill nearby to do some torture testing. I raised the float levels with a quarter turn of the adjusters, but I did not take out the bowl plugs with the engine hot. I know I initially set them where they would not overflow from the bowl plug holes while idling at 1100 RPM. It seemed low at the time, evidently it is.

Is it dying from lateral Gs or an abrupt throttle drop? Its hard to tell from the video. Try a clean surface with a larger diameter skid pad where you can keep a steady throttle.

Nice car!

I am pretty good around a skid-pad. I should be able to go around and around endlessly; even on that dry, small, leafy circle, but the engine just won't put out consistent power. It runs great going straight up the hill, and it does not starve during hard, downhill braking. It mis-behaves the moment I start turning hard. I am thinking float bowl slosh because the fuel pressure is steady the whole time. Oddly enough, it seems to still have some starvation even after resting a few seconds. It does not recover as quickly as it begins to starve.

I didn't include a lot of video of constant turning around and around. That very-last part kind-of shows that with constant second gear turning; the engine bucks and starves. It seems to do it in both directions. The car is sprung stiff so you don't see a lot of bucking and hopping, and I am quick to get the clutch in before it starts really bucking and damages the driveline.

I am going to reset/raise float levels next Sunday and try this again. I have a Holley 4150 #4777, 650 CFM, plastic floats, bowl whistles(anti slosh vents).

Edited by bjhines

To be honest, I really can't hear what the car's doing in the vid. But- to get the jets uncovered in that short of a turn, the fuel levels would have to be very low.

Try taking the turn at the same speed in first gear, which should give you a larger throttle angle. If you don't get the stumble then, you've got a tip in problem, not a starvation problem.

Car looks great btw. I'm going to cmp sat, why don't you bring it?

jt