HybridZ

Wiring Diagrams?

Hello All!

I am currently in the beginning stages of doing a KA swap into my 73 Fairlady. I have looked everywhere (searched here, Xenon S30, ect...) and cannot seem to find a relaible wiring diagram for the car. There is always something wrong such as the number of wires in a bundle or some such. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 73 Nissan Fairlady that they might be willing to post?

Thanks!

--Jon

if someone has one, send it to me as well...

I have an EARLY one (actually the whole S30 Manual 1971 vintage),but not the later one.

The differences are not really substantial, and not a lot will interface with the body harness on such a swap anyway. Using the US FSM should be close enough to figure out where power is located, and generally where it's coming from---what more do you need?

Edited by Tony D

JonRHD:

Go to Ebay and under wiring diagrams for datsuns there is color 11x17" wiring diagrams. These are VERY good and for a '73 it should be a Series 2 240Z. Already have one of these for my '71 240Z Series 1 and it is a very GOOD wiring diagram.

Regards,

Rolland Sicard

Tucson, Arizona

Hello All!

I am currently in the beginning stages of doing a KA swap into my 73 Fairlady. I have looked everywhere (searched here, Xenon S30, ect...) and cannot seem to find a relaible wiring diagram for the car. There is always something wrong such as the number of wires in a bundle or some such. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 73 Nissan Fairlady that they might be willing to post?

Thanks!

--Jon

Thanks for the info riscard...I will check that out. TonyD, There are a lot of little gremlins in this car because the previous Jackasses didnt know what they were doing. So while I'm doing the swap I am going to fully integrate the KA engine harness into the Z interior harness, and after getting the dash out I have found wires that were cut and no idea what they do.

The dash harnesses are almost identical. I refit the dash in my 73 Fairlady using the FSM from a US Spec 240Z a WIRING DIAGRAM WILL NOT DO IT ALONE!

What you have to do it compare the wiring CONNECTORS, the functions will be the same respective to their position in the connector, but the colors will differ somewhat. Like the combo switch for the lights---there is an extra wire in the three pin connector in the dash harness from the turn signal on the Fairlady that is not there on US Models. That wire is actually in the harness in the US dash, just not in the US Combo Switch--it's for 'flash to pass' on the headlights and is a simple ground through the button in the turnsignal stalk for the FZ (some Fairlady Z's...)

Same for all the rest. My harness was cut like you wouldn't believe. Most of these morons don't cut more than 5 or 6 inches off the wires so you can graft the ends on from a US dashboard (or buy the connectors from Vintage Connections) and restore that dash harness to like-new condition.

But a wiring diagram leaves you in the dark. You have to know where in the connection each colored wire goes---THAT DOES NOT CHANGE. Once you figure out which connector holds what color wire, it's a simple matter of going onto the wiring diagram and changing the color codes for future reference.

This goes for all the subharnesses, actually. Why do I say to do this? Because I didn't and will have to do it again when I troubleshoot some things that have come up after 15 years of owning the car. If it'd done it then, I'd have a laminated copy of the wiring diagram under the spare tire cover like I have on all the other US Market Cars I have!

Good Luck, it's not rocket science, just tedious! ;)

Oh, and BTW, the interplay between a KA engine harness is not really that much. I would posit you will be able to get what signals you want into and out of the engine bay with probably six or seven wires at most. And they won't really be more than ignition (key-on) power, battery power, interface with the fuel pump wire, ignition signal to the tachometer and maybe some relays thrown in there. Really the engine is separate from the body wiring altogether. If a speed switch is needed, that's in the dash for the EGR on the 73 (speedo) and with some electrical knowledge you can alter the circuit to actuate at a speedo pulser output someplace other than 45mph.

Thanks for all the info Tony this will be a big help! And you are right about making a modified wiring diagram for future reference I will be doing that. lol The people that owned the car before me should not be allowed to own another car. lol.