HybridZ

Vapor tank - Do I need it? HELP!!!

I have a Carter Pump on my car. I can't image the Holley being much louder. I have had electric pumps before, this sounds like someone sawing into the car. icon_eek.gif Of course, I have no insulation or rug int he back of my car, so once I put some in, it should quiet down good. icon_biggrin.gif

Al

Jim,

I got the digital camera all ready to go. However, the office is shutting down for the holiday so I won't be able to upload the pictures until Tuesday. I will get some good photo's for you though. Is there anything specific you want a picture of?

Zfan,

I've got the Performer RPM straight heads with the S&S long tube 1 3/4" headers. The headers were ordered directly from Motorsport. They are pretty quiet about giving out manufacturer part numbers but I believe they are the headers for a '23 Ford Coupe with a SBC.

I'm using the JTR setup and don't have any clearance issues. Installation was (still is) a major pain in the butt. The headers will not come out unless the engine is being pulled as well. Even then, I still have to unbolt the headers and move them around while the motor is coming up. Also, forget working on the starter wheil the header is bolted up. The passenger header completely covers any possible access to the starter. icon_mad.gif Also, the floor boards on my Z needed to be modified (hammer) to squeeze in an exhaust. It's a tight fit, but they will work.

As for the fuel pump, I use an adjustable regulator to "fine tune" my Nitrous shot. Depending on bottle pressure, I some times run as high as 9 - 10 psi. This is just to the N20 plate though, the carb never see's more than 5 psi.

-Andy

I've got the street/strip Carter pump on my car. I mounted it on the outside of the spare tire well using stove bolts. First I installed some heavy rubber stick-on insulation (same as used inside on floor - picked it up from JC Whitney http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=5312&BQ=jcw2) on both the inside and outside of the well. I also glued some Dynamat to the spare tire cover.

The Carter bracket that came with the pump has rubber gromments in it so the pump is "suspended" in rubber.

It makes very little noise inside the car and you have to really listen for it once the engine is running.

Is that the silver pump that has a sort of phenolic plastic piece? I know they've got a Summit brand pump that's partially plastic that I've heard can leak. I think it was here that I heard that - anyone else heard about this?

I too thought it was an awesome deal but having heard that it might have issues I passed. Glad ot hear it's working well on your friend's car but do tell him to keep an eye on it for awhile just to be sure. How loud is it compared to the blue?

This is a black motor mounted to a billit Al peice it appered very well built with the key on engine off you can bearly hear it with the radio on low volume it is not even noticable it has been on the camaro for about 5 monthes now and has shown now signs of trouble it get raced twice a week and is a daily driver year 'round. hope this helps Keith

Sweet, thanks! They havehad a pump that had some plastic in it as part of the design. Word was it wasn't durable but if this sucker is billet and quiet perhaps it's the winnder we're all searching for. Did he isolate it much?

And guys - I've had it with these headers. Plugs missing like mad all over now due to the boots burning on them. Runs pig rich and this makes it worse. Car will stall if it gets warm and the RPMs aren't kept up with all the missing. Once stalled it has to sit or you can pop the hood wait a few and it cranks right up icon_rolleyes.gif Rather embarrassing as you're pulling into a space at the local cruise (sigh). Will call Sanderson on Tuesday I think to discuss headers with them as they ought to know best. Car will get headers, probably two mufflers, and tuned. I want this sucker streetable! Got pulled over for speeding trying to keep the R's up in a 25mph zone. The cop had seen me stalled beforehand so after a bit of discussion he let me go - not cool! icon_sad.gif fun evening though over all (lol)