HybridZ

carbon fiber inquiry

Guest Anonymous

I would love a 2 1/2" to 3" cowl hood. Ive been searching for a long time. Got ripped off by one of the Cervini brothers on East coast trying to purchase one. Oh well.

Mike

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, so far everyone who's said they will do this hasn't come through. If you can do it I'm all for it!

I'm interested in CF kickpanels, CF doorpanels, CF console - no switch cutouts and maybe no ashtray hole. A heater control panel and radio surround with no cutouts would also be good - I'll do my own custom controls and radio cutout if I ever get a radio ;) Weight isn't my issue, looks are.

There's also a flat piece normally covered in vinyl that's just behind the doors inside the car - would like a set of those. A dash CAP for a 240Z would also be cool but with a semigloss finish. CF glove box door perhaps? Hell, I'd replace all of th eflimsy interior pieces with CF too if I thought it would look decent but that's probably a bit much and a bit too expensive too. Before you goto that sort of trouble I'd make sure there was a real demand.

Please let us know if this is doable at all. Door panels in particular interest me :D I'm willing to pay reasonable prices so please let us know how it goes. Thanks! hail.gif

Guest Anonymous

probably no tiltfront ends. blkmgk, im starting on the dash, hood, and console today.... that is as soon as ups brings me a replacement tranny computer from my tsi awd so i can get to the store. as for the interior stuff, i dont know how many of the small pieces im gonna do. as soon as i get a decent looking part ill pop out enuf for everyone that wants one. ill let you know how it progresses.

dominic

Guest Anonymous

all the first prototypes will be 280z parts. ill try and find local sources for 240 dash and console, if not somebody's gonna hafta send me one. right now im trying to work some details out on the dash. it seems that this part may be the most difficult to perfect a mounting system for. anyway i should be finishing the first mold this weekend.

I think that yes, the 240Z consoles were different, as the choke lever moved around, and maybe the 70 had a different fuse box placement? Most of the differences won't matter, I think, for most people, if they can live with a new shifter boot location, no ash tray, etc.

But there are differences between the 240Z and 280Z that may matter on the console - not sure.

IMO, the shape of the 240Z dash is nicer, especially around the center three gages.

But making one dash cover won't work. Heck, even the 240Zs were a bit different as far as hazard switch placement, lighter, etc. But those might be able to be served by one dash cover. Just pick up an MSA catalog and see how many different part numbers there are for dash covers for the 240,260,280Z.

Door panels, pant pant ;) Actually the smaller stuff like the flat trim behind the doors ought to be easy to make. Stock it's just vinyl covered cardboard! I've been tempted to try but have too many other things going on to have the time - yet.

Guest 280Tom'z

a hood and hatch with no hole for realse button would be awesome. please let me know something if these are made!!!!!!

2thumbs.gif javascript:void(0)

2thumbs

I have been pondering over the idea of making a CF hood for the Z, using my dad's experience with fiber work (he built his own experimental plane from scratch). I need a bit of practice, t hough - I made a carbon fiber spark plug cover for my friends' SR20DET and it is okay, I guess. It is very hard to keep the fibers lined up straight and to keep bubbles out of the top layer of resin that gives it the 'glassy' finish. I'm working on it twak.gif

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by dominic:

all the first prototypes will be 280z parts. ill try and find local sources for 240 dash and console, if not somebody's gonna hafta send me one. right now im trying to work some details out on the dash. it seems that this part may be the most difficult to perfect a mounting system for. anyway i should be finishing the first mold this weekend.

as far as securing the dash cover some big aluminum rivets might look really really cool. they are easy to replace if needed and give that race car look/simplicity