HybridZ

Joined the club

VKLR

• 1 month later...

Thanks six

OK so what the heck.... I'm going in a totally different direction. A guy is allowed to change his mind isn't he. :lol:

Currently going the SR20 route. I do want to keep the Ac in the car. I'm not going to build a monster (not at this point) but keep it simple and close to a stock looking install but with a few minor tweeks here and there.

Checking account currently being drained....stay tuned.

What fun is a dead end street? Gotta start somewhere. :lol:

True story. B)

What is going on with your rides?

I'd like to get together again sometime and check out other Z cars.

I haven't worked on them much since May (too hot and too busy with work). I have several small items to take care of on my black 260 and then start on the wagon. I'm trying not to think about the other three cars I need to do something to after the 260 and wagon. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Well i finally did it. The engine and trans are out. In a way i feel guilty not rebuilding the L28. I know it ran well for many years and was a true warrior. It ran great, smooth as silk but it was just plain tired. It smoked and leaked.

It only took me three beers to remove the engine and trans. No stripped or seized bolts.

Now a little clean up of the underside and order some parts.

I did get my order in today from McKinney Motor sports. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Today i picked up a SR20det S14. Overall it looks fairly good. The front crank seal leaks, clutch is down to the rivets, oil pan dented and a little wiring damage. Not really unexpected. I spent a few hours today cleaning and inspecting the engine and transmission. The oil pan looked like it had never been removed. Upon removal it was actually very clean and free of metal. One bummer is my new high dollar down pipe is going to need a little work to get it to fit. While i'm doing the engine swap i'll complete the front suspension rebuild. It also looks like running AC will just need to fabricate another mounting bracket for the compressor.

On order:

Clutch, pressure plate, flywheel

AZC Radiator

AZC Steering knuckles

Current shopping list:

front and rear crank seals

inter cooler and piping

Thermostat

Rocker arm stoppers

Valve cover gasket

Turbo outlet pipe

Edited by VKLR

I'm almost at the point of starting to put stuff back on, a few more evenings.

On another note.....The engine supplier gave me the wrong ECM. It turn out there are TWO versions of the S14 engine. Mine is the S14a or also know as Kouki. That seems to be a good thing.

post-14114-092531700 1320630998_thumb.jpg

post-14114-039953900 1320631021_thumb.jpg

Edited by VKLR

• 1 month later...

Whenever there is a project there are highs and lows.

On this project there have been very few lows except my checking account.

About three hours after setting the drive line in place i'm not really digging the fitment. Fast forward a few weeks and a few tweeks here and there things are shaping up rather nice.

On the list of while i'm at it are a complete re-wire of the entire car,Speed Hut instruments, LED this and that, AND just a hint of CF.

My only regret is i didn't get the starting weight of the car when i bought it.

• 2 weeks later...

Moving at a snails pace....

Currently i'm dealing with trying to get everything plumbed up. If I find what i need it's out of stock or four times the price.

I think the inter cooler, radiator and electric fan came out good, I still have room for an engine oil cooler. The ac condenser is sandwiched in there too. It's starting to get a little crowded on the passenger side so i'm thinking at this point the ac dryer will have to be mounted on the driver's side.

Here are a few crappy pictures with my new junk camera.

post-14114-043999100 1325428450_thumb.jpg

post-14114-093443100 1325428471_thumb.jpg

post-14114-081373400 1325428491_thumb.jpg

You're lucky to have such a nice car to start with! I kinda went the opposite way. Starting with a bad car, planned for the SR20 originally, now I'm going with the L28ET due to my budget.

Good luck with the build. It seems to be coming along nicely...

Well Mark to tell you the truth i feel guilty at times for not putting this car back stock. But if i didn't i'd always wonder what if. I'm glad i had a parts car to strip. That way any part that needs to be modified i use one off the parts car. I'm gathering a pile of really good stock parts.

I have the next few days off so there should be a lot of progress and pictures to come.

• 2 weeks later...