HybridZ

240 bumper on a 76 280???

HICKL

Like everyone else in the world, I hate the bumper that goes on my 76 280. The guys at Motosport (zcarparts.com) sell a fiberglass 240 replica front bumper. I understand that the mounts are way different. I called the guy and he told me that it will not work on my car, can't me made to work on my car, etc (quite rude actually) Have any of you guys put a 240 bumper on a 280? Is it that hard? Is there a kit made to adapt? I manage a machine/fab shop, so I'm not afraid of a little bracket building. Please help.

Guest Anonymous

I have some 240 style fiberglass bumpers from the Origin convertible kit that were designed to be attached with large sheet metal screws from underneath the bumper by a slotted flange that extends down at an angle from the top leading edge of the bumper. You place the bumper straight and level on the body in the appropriate location and mark your holes in the body sheet metal using the slots on the bumper's flange as reference points. Drill your holes and attach the sheet metal screws ,large fender washers and lock nuts. Slip the bumper's slotted flange over the screws/washers and then tighten the screws from underneath the bumper. The attaching hardware is out of sight... not much impact strength but what would you expect from fiberglass

Guest Anonymous

Not for sale....In the back of the fiberglass bumper there is a built in (integral) slotted mounting flange. The molds for these wound up with the Vello Rossa/John Washington business that is now in limbo... I am learning how to make fiberglass parts. Due to the slotted mounting flange on the back of the bumper the molds for these front and rear bumpers would havee to be a two part mold.

I used the standard bumper mounting brackets for a '72, removed the bumper shock pistons from my '75 and then made a long "J" bolt from 3/8" threaded rod which hooked into a hole in the early bracket and ran back through the existing hole at the rear of the shock cylinder and pulled it snug with a 3/8" nut. Once everything is in place and lined up, spot weld where the early bracket goes into the shock cylinder. DAW

I also have a 260 bumper on my 280. Though I took it a step further, and cut out an inch or two from the middle, and rewelded it to get a very tight close to the body fit.

No bumper on the back...it was going to be too much work...I prefer the smoothed rear look anyways.

2thumbs.gif

Oh, BTW, if you want to lose a lot of lbs on a post-'74 Z, consider Fiat X19 aluminum bumpers. They are the right shape & size and you can remove a section from the plastic "accordian" bellows trim pieces to compensate for the displaced distance when the stock bumper shocks are deflated & compressed and the Fiat bumpers fitted. DAW

it's pretty simple to attach 240z front and rear bumpers to a 280z, i replaced both of mine myself.

for the front bumper you are going to need some aluminum stock to make brackets that will hold the bumper in place to the inside of the grill, there are plenty of places to bolt the brackets and i'm sure you can figure it out, it's quite simple. i'll try to get some pictures of my brackets. as for the back, i removed the stock bumper and released the pressure in the shocks by drilling a hole in them, pushed in the shocks so they sit close to the body and used them to mount the 240z bumper. it's an easy project, the hardest part is finding 240z bumpers in good shape.