HybridZ

1980 280ZX Water Temp Sensor + running issues

Guys,

I am having a little problem with my 80 280ZX NT. This car has 35K miles and it has a small running issue that been buggin me. The water temp sensor gauge could never reach the middle (operating temp). I have tested the resistence of the sensor and it definitely reach the operating range according to the manual. But yet the gauge inside the car never reach the middle. Therefore the car won't pick up as fast as it should. I've the Haynes manual on page 108. It says that the computer uses the water temp sensor to calculate the injector pulse. I am suspecting a bad connection from this wire going to the gauge and the ECU. I have not have time to trace it thru yet. I was just wondering any body has the same issue like I do and possibly someone has found the problem area. It would be nice to know if someone knows exactly where the problem is. Thanks for any info.

Vinh

don't get the coolant temp sensor confused with the cylinder head temp sensor. On the older z's they called the unit that functions to send temp signal to the ecu the coolant temp sensor but on an s130 it is referred to as the chts located back around the #5 spark hole. the coolant temp sensor is up front. don't trust your stock temp gage they are notoroiously unreliable and inaccurate. If you really want to know coolant temp get an aftermarket gage. coolant temp will not affect how the car runs except in the sense that when she cold won't run quite as well as when at operating temp. definitely check teh connector for corrosion/broken wire but be sure you have the right sensor.