HybridZ

My new toy - 75 280Z

Somewhere is a very upset PO of this car. I really feel sorry for the fella but life has it's bad moments. It was auctioned off by the Morale/Rec/Welfare office of the local Naval Base. Rumoured it was parked at the auto hobby shop. Maybe the owner had to ship out or was stationed elsewhere and couldn't retrieve the car. It will be taken good care of by it's new owner if that is any consolation. I got into a bidding war with a knucklehead and paid more than I had intended. I still got a good deal. It was setup as a track car. Built-in rollcage (less the front bars to firewall), Panasport wheels (like new), coilovers, camber plates up front, Wilwood disc's, heavy sway bars, ATL fuel cell, MSA 6-1 header, Magnaflow exhaust, 240SX throttle body, CAI, fiberglass bumpers, etc. Little rot in the rails under the seats but no other serious rust issues and I've got a set of new rails in the garage. Battery area is great. No rust in the floors, sills, doglegs, fenders, hood, hatch or anywhere. Couple of dings, scratches and fading paint. Got it home and it wouldn't start. Left the battery changer on it for a while. Had to use a remote start button to turn it over (bad switch, wiring or interlock unit?) Just turned over slowly for a while then suddenly it roared to life. It spit and sputtered for several minutes then smoothed out to a nice tickover and thumping exhaust (must have a hotter cam installed). Nice clean exhaust. No smoke at all. I rolled it off the trailer, checked the brakes and clutch. A quick spin around the block was fun. This car hauls azz. There's a knocking in the rear when slowing down and when reversing. I suspect a halfshaft u-joint has failed which might be the reason it was parked at the auto shop. When the snow melts I'll climb underneath to get a better assessment. Also need to setup for a parking brake (Wilwood combo calipers I'm guessing) to pass state inspection. Now I'm the owner of two running Datsuns, my pristine 71 240Z and this soon-to-be daily driver.

post-881-068802600 1292533125_thumb.jpg

Edited by ezzzzzzz

The thought that the PO might indeed see it here crossed my mind and want it back. Hell, I'd want it back too. It was a legal transaction and the car is now titled in my name. I hate to say what I paid. Embarrassed that I got caught up in the auction madness. Most bidders (about 20 there just for this ride) dropped out around $2500. The price exceeded that by a bit still. It was more than I even intended to spend that day but still way less than the cost to build it plus the body is in very good shape overall. I was really suffering buyer's remorse until I got it running and realized how nice the whole package really was. I needed an 8th vehicle anyway...yeah right.

Edited by ezzzzzzz

Great find. I feel sorry for the old owner but your not the cause of him loosing the car. Enjoy!!

I also just got a 75 too. I feel like I stole it. Great car in fantastic condition for a bargain price. Not really any rust to speak of, floorboards and battery tray are awesome. I feel guilty sometimes but that soon disappears when I know how it's going to be treated for the rest of it's life.

I look forward to seeing more pictures and details about your car.