HybridZ

In TOO Far!

Guest thinkmonkey

Welcome to the club David!

I bought my '71 240 a little over a year ago and was only planning to clean it up and put a Velo Rossa kit on it. I was going to leave ALL of the mechanicals stock.

eek2.gif THEN I DISCOVERED HYBRIDZ rockon.gif

Now I have a fresh 355 SBC, T56, Coil-overs, 5 lug upgrade, Outlaw brake upgrade, all new poly bushings, Painless wiring kit and a Velo Rossa body kit... all sitting on my garage floor. :(

Talk about getting in TOO deep. Major scope creep here.

I got my car stripped and on a rotisserrie with one sub-frame connector in. Unfortunatley, I haven't been able to work on it for almost 3 months. So, there she sits...

dscn0673.jpg

Best of luck on the project! (I wish I had dipped my car. I hate stripping paint and undercoating)

-Marc

Guest Anonymous

Can we put all back together again? Dan I am hail.gif following your lead and relying on the 2thumbs.gif doall wrench that is commonly called the shifty.gif crescent up here in the Northern latitudes rockon.gif If the doall is made in China,is it metric weird.gif

Guest Anonymous

I am with Denny on the cement blocks....I used to use em years ago... propped a Ford Torino up to do a brake job...about every vital body part I had was under that car at one time or another...turned my back to go to the house and heard a crash....looked back to see two cement blocks on one side totally crumbled...jacked that side up to replace em and the two blocks on the other side exploded. .. Went to town and bought some jack stands and NEVER USED CEMENT BLOCKS AGAiN. very dangerous

An old friend and I were talking just a few hours ago about a similiar story. I was under my toyota celica that was up on blocks, nono.gif one of the blocks started to roll and he yanked me out by my ankles hail.gif just before the car landed flat on the ground.

NEVER AGAIN

SOLID cement blocks are fine though. As are trunk sections (as long as they are broader than they are tall).

Yeah, the cinderblock scare me too!

Be careful out there!

As for project creep - I'm the resident poster child. But it CAN come back together. Just leave yourself a few years, or a DECADE :D .

Pete - I am gladly following your plans for sub-frame connectors, but I'm doing my best NOT to follow your lead on project timelines. rolleyesg.gif

However, if my wife doesn't let me play in the garage soon, I'll easily use a decade plus to get this puppy on the road...

I saw the solid blocks under the front of dhans' car but, I didn't notice the cinder blocks in back. Scary, man!

Guest thinkmonkey

Here is proof that I am in to far. I bought this car last March for $900 for my 17th birthday to freshen up, maybe do a 350 conversion. Now it's a frame up, strip and dip, bare metal to full glory, snowballed, bit of z madness. Observe it now. 2.jpg

Guest thinkmonkey

Actually this is just a temporary setup until I get my rotisserie finished, so I never go underneath the car. It is supported by those jackstands and supplemented by those barrels filled with sand for sandblasting. A few of my buddies and I just lifted up the car onto the barrels and then placed the jackstands there to stabilize it and take some weight. It's definitely a poor man's setup but those barrels can take the weight of more than 3 of my friends hoppping up and down on them.

Is it considered cheating if I bagged the nuts/bolts/small parts with a somewhat readable label ?? Now instead of guesing each and evey bolt I grab a bag and I have a whole bunch a parts I don't remember where they go , but I'm sure they all go the same place :D

-Joe

Cars on blocks, smile.gif Denny is fitting in well in Alabama. Sounds like some of you would also.

So how many people have lain under a 1 ton truck lining up the engine and transmission while someone else pushed the truck forward with a tractor and the engine was hanging from the roof of a barn?

You should also see some of my granddad’s jack stands; Model T axle housings.