HybridZ

Sound and heat shielding

Tim240z

Guest Zachb55

what products did you use to insulate? and carpet? did you do it on your own or use a kit? how much did all the pad/carpet cost you? i plan on doing my interior with something like MSA's insulator, then do a custom carpeting job from there on... much kudos on the job though, looks great 2thumbs.gif

-Zach

Zach,

No kits here. I used a 25 foot roll (36inches wide) of insulation (macmaster carr[$25 or so]), and a 12 foot (x6 foot) length of inddor/outdoor carpeting from Home Depot[$40 or so]. The longest time was spent making the templates from a roll of plotter paper.

Tim

Guest Slvrhase

Tim240Z what type of insulation did you order from Mcmaster-Carr? I use their site regularly at my job and ocassionally for supplies for the Z. I have looked for insulation but their listings are so vast it's hard to find everything. :rolleyes:

Guest Slvrhase

Yes, Aircraft-Spruce has many different insulation products, lots of them fire resistant/retardant. The foil-bubble stuff mentioned works great for heat but not much for sound (completely bonk.gif lined the interior of the last car I did.)

One product I am looking for and have yet to find is an asphalt backed foil that is peel-and-stick self adhesive. An auto restoration supply company I used to work for bought it in rolls (cheap), cut it up, and sold it for outrageous $. It was some type of roofing product? Can't seem to find it in the roll. sour.gif

Hello Tim I am hoping to do what you just accomplished sometime soon. I want to cut out my own carpet could you elaborate on how you made the templates what did you trace etc. I have a 280z so Im a little different. Thanks for your help and that is some awesome work there.

jared,

I had a roll of plotter paper (about 3 foot wide). I measure the firewall (the most difficult part) and cut the paper to the approx. size. Then I laid the paper up against the firewall and taped it in a couple of places to hold it. Then I just held the paper against the 'protrusions' on the firewall and cut with a blade. I pushed the paper into the corners and again, cut with a blade.

The nice thing about using paper is that if you mess up, you can just tape another scrap of paper where you messed up and keep going. Then, it was just a matter of transfering the template to the isulation, then to the carpet and cut with scissors.

HTH.

Tim

Hey Guys,

I was considering doing a similar thing to a Z shell I have but am a bit worried about spray/paint on deadener as I was thinking its going to make it impossible to access bare metal to keep an eye on maybe future rust or any other sort of repairs.

What are your feelings on this?

Also I assume the paint on stuff will insulate the body from water and rust, hopefully not retain water?

Thanks

• 3 months later...