HybridZ

First cut at a Wolf V500 EMS PS wiring schematic

rossman

I figured I'd throw my power supply schematic up on here for some comments and suggestions. This is the first time I've done something like this so if it's f'ed up, please be easy on me :)

The circuit is based on RTz's power and ground distribution circuit. The biggest unknown for me are the current draws of the injectors, coils, idle air control and boost controller valve. Furthermore, I'm not even sure if the idle air and boost control valve should be part of this circuit.

Does this circuit look reasonable? Helpful suggestions welcome!

post-3218-094255900 1293423945_thumb.jpg

A few comments:

Make to use manually resetting circuit breakers. If a circuit breaker trips, you need to figure out why. If it automatically resets itself then you could damage the down current components.

Ground blocks are nice if everything is in close proximity. That may be difficult when you finally wire-up the system.

Eliminate the 75 amp main relay. That is a very heavy duty relay and will be the weak point of the entire system. You do not need a relay to feed another relay (in this case the 30 amp for the coils and injectors). I would use a series of relays. One for Wolf, J&S and the LC-1. This relay will provide power to these systems. Use another relay for your fuel pump as explained below. Use a separate relay for your LS-1 coils as explained below. Finally, use another relay for your ancillary components like the IAC, boost controller, etc., and anything else you may add on at a later date.

You need a relay for the fuel pump. Wolf uses the white wire to activate and deactivate the relay. It will energize the pump for a preset amount of time you configure at ignition hot key.

I would wire up the coils on their own separate relay. I ran into an issue where I would get a random ignition event in the cylinders upon ignition hot key due to the coils being engerized and having the right residual air/fuel mix in the cylinders. You use Wolf to activate the relay once the RPMs are over 300 (cranking). I have not had an issue since.

Wolf and the LC-1 can share the same circuit. I would not add anything else to that circuit though.

Good luck with the install.

Edited by ktm

Thanks for your comments ktm.

Make to use manually resetting circuit breakers. If a circuit breaker trips, you need to figure out why. If it automatically resets itself then you could damage the down current components.

The plan is to use these circuit breakers from Sky Geek.

Eliminate the 75 amp main relay. That is a very heavy duty relay and will be the weak point of the entire system. You do not need a relay to feed another relay (in this case the 30 amp for the coils and injectors). I would use a series of relays. One for Wolf, J&S and the LC-1. This relay will provide power to these systems. Use another relay for your fuel pump as explained below. Use a separate relay for your LS-1 coils as explained below. Finally, use another relay for your ancillary components like the IAC, boost controller, etc., and anything else you may add on at a later date.

Interesting. I didn't realize that high current relays were unreliable. It makes sense to me to have a main relay to turn on the whole system at one time...but I'm not married to the idea.

So, with your scheme, the ignition switch would energize Wolf, J&S and LC-1 then Wolf would energize the fuel pump, coils and ancillary components?

You need a relay for the fuel pump. Wolf uses the white wire to activate and deactivate the relay. It will energize the pump for a preset amount of time you configure at ignition hot key.

The PSC (pump speed controller) has a relay built in to it. Wolf will activate the pump via the PSC as you describe.

I would wire up the coils on their own separate relay. I ran into an issue where I would get a random ignition event in the cylinders upon ignition hot key due to the coils being engerized and having the right residual air/fuel mix in the cylinders. You use Wolf to activate the relay once the RPMs are over 300 (cranking). I have not had an issue since.

Will do. I remember reading about that problem now that you mention it.

Wolf and the LC-1 can share the same circuit. I would not add anything else to that circuit though.

Earlier you stated "I would use a series of relays. One for Wolf, J&S and the LC-1..." I assume J&S can share the same circuit too?

Edited by rossman

Here are my comments:

- For a street application, don't bother with circuit breakers. If you are really bent on having them, then use them only in critical circuits, like the ECU, fuel pump, and ignition. Or, use one circuit breaker for everything (replace 50A fuse with CB).

- Use the fuses that come with the Wolf (it should be integrated into the harness).

- You should have a separate fuse for each device type (IAC, BC, etc.)

- You don't need such a heavy duty relay. Use standard 30A for everything

- Cooling fan?

I would use the following relays:

- FUEL

- IGN+INJ+ECU

- LC-1+J&S

- FAN

See my MSII schematic below. It'll give you an idea of how I've wired up systems.

Pete

MSII-EDIS-Wiring.pdf

Interesting. I didn't realize that high current relays were unreliable. It makes sense to me to have a main relay to turn on the whole system at one time...but I'm not married to the idea.

It's not that they are unreliable but rather in your configuration it is the nexus of all of your power supply. If that relay fails you lose power to everything. Additionally, 75 amp relays are specialty items that you most likely have to order on-line. You cannot run down to Radio Shack, Autozone, Kragen, etc. and pick one up if it fails. You can buy 30 amp automotive relays with ease at most electrical and autoparts stores.

So, with your scheme, the ignition switch would energize Wolf, J&S and LC-1 then Wolf would energize the fuel pump, coils and ancillary components?

Under my scheme, the ignition switch would energize Wolf, J&S, LC-1, injectors, and ancillary components. The ignition switch would also provide ignition hot power to the fuel pump and coils with Wolf controlling the relay grounds. The MBC and IAC use two wires (power and ground) and are PWM controlled by Wolf.

Earlier you stated "I would use a series of relays. One for Wolf, J&S and the LC-1..." I assume J&S can share the same circuit too?

J&S can share the same circuit. You can have a 30 amp relay provide power to Wolf, LC-1 and J&S with each having their own fuse/circuit breaker.

Thanks for your comments Pete.

- For a street application, don't bother with circuit breakers. If you are really bent on having them, then use them only in critical circuits, like the ECU, fuel pump, and ignition. Or, use one circuit breaker for everything (replace 50A fuse with CB).

I'm curious why you say not to bother with CB's. Is it cost or just because they are a PITA to deal with?

- Use the fuses that come with the Wolf (it should be integrated into the harness).

I don't recall seeing any fuses integrated into the Wolf wiring harness. I'll check this evening.

- You should have a separate fuse for each device type (IAC, BC, etc.)

Will do

- You don't need such a heavy duty relay. Use standard 30A for everything

Roger that. That is two votes against the big relay.

- Cooling fan?

Plan to use the stock fan.

I would use the following relays:

- FUEL

- IGN+INJ+ECU

- LC-1+J&S

- FAN

Seems logical but the IGN will go on a separate circuit to avoid the problem ktm had. I believe this is a problem specific to Wolf V500.

See my MSII schematic below. It'll give you an idea of how I've wired up systems.

Thanks! That helps a lot! Nice, professional looking drawing.

• 3 weeks later...

I completely redrew the wiring schematic to include all the components and their connectivity to each other. I'm not sure of the fuse rating for most of the components. Any insight/comments are appreciated.

post-3218-045926100 1294796677_thumb.png

Edited by rossman

• 1 year later...