HybridZ

2jzge or 2jzgte

Take 2JZ-GE, install 2JZGTE factory head gasket. Remove distributor, install 7MGTE camshaft position sensor (requires slight modifications; a dremel tool does this fine), cut water temp, oil pressure, etc. pigtails from 2JZGE wiring harness.

Install 7MGTE coilpacks, or, alternatively, extend coilpack wiring and install IS300 coilpacks for flush, clean look.

Wire into 7MGTE engine harness. Install turbocharger and manifold, and whatever desired style intake (will require aftermarket forward facing manifold to clear Z hood, IIRC

Install 7MGTE 440cc or better top feed injectors and (IIRC) 7MGTE fuel rail.

Crank engine, drive, enjoy.

This is the MK3 Supra method of installing a 2JZGE w/turbocharger for the least amount of money. It's the route I'm taking with my MK3 Supra, and there are guys on the Supra forums running this type swap very easily with good reliability.

You're looking at between 300 and 500USD for the long block, and then you need to source 7MGTE wiring harness and CPS (incidentally, I have these) as well as a computer. The 7MGTE computer needs to see boost to run properly, but the engines are similar enough that this process works just fine.

*EDIT*

I forgot to mention: a stock 2JZGE will make FAR more horsepower than you will likely EVER want in your 2500lb Z-car. You'll likely never need to upgrade it unless you are simply wanting a large horsepower number. In terms of drivability, anything over around 350hp will start to seriously degrade the safety of your car, disgusting quarter mile times notwithstanding.

In other words, it'll be a rocket with 350hp. A 2JZ will do that bone stock with a small turbo. Do it.

Oh. Or you could pay 1800+USD for a twin turbo setup. Your choice.

Edited by OustedFairlady

First of all thank you for your excellent advice! I do have a few questions.

I have heard that the bolt paterns for the head on the 2jzge and the 2jzgte are different. Is this true?

If so would i have to modify the 2jzgte head gasket to fit properly?

Would the 2jzgte head gasket lower the compression of the 2jzge engine?

I actually was shooting for around 350-400hp because like you said "it'll be a rocket with 350hp."

And to also keep the reliability of the engine, I don't want to be working on it more than im driving it.

If I might add, for starters I come from the supra scene so I'm the odd man out when it comes to all of my friends. Personally from most of what I've seen it's less headaches and and a marginal amount of more money but in the end people are generally more happy. Buy the gte block for 2gs do swap... my buddy went through 7ms 5ms 1js and the like and in the end after the 10 gs or more he spent trying to get things right and join the club he finally just caved and bought a 2jzgte vvti motor... swap is actually going on as we speak because he blew his head gasket the other day in his ge block... now aside from others experiences, my advice... turbo chargers are the killer, if you can get the motor with the turbo you wont regret it and since you have to get a new ecu anyways a full deal wont be anymore painful where as most supra owners dont get the vvti because the tune requires the vvti ecu and new harness but in your case no big. That's just my advice backed by the whole whopping 2 posts I have on this site xD. Good luck mate with however you do it.

I have heard that the bolt paterns for the head on the 2jzge and the 2jzgte are different. Is this true?

I actually was shooting for around 350-400hp because like you said "it'll be a rocket with 350hp."

And to also keep the reliability of the engine, I don't want to be working on it more than im driving it.

The factory twin turbos and the stock ecu ( JDM 2jzgte ) are easily capable of 400whp . The jdm motor has smaller 440cc injectors and the cam is a little smaller. The turbos are somewhat different and the down pipe is smaller too. The ecu uses a different system to calculate the air flow. There are some other minor differences. The jdm motor is rated at 280hp, the US is rated at 320hp. From what I have read the jdm is under rated and closer to 320hp also. with minor mods you can increase the hp quite a bit. Go to this web site to get an idea. http://www.suprastore.com/450hppackage.html

First off, do yourself a favor and search the Toyota engine section for some info. Second NO the bolt pastern for the two heads are NOT different, heck why not get a 1jz head on 2jz bottom end? YES the GE over the top intake will clear the hood if the block is mounted low enough. It has been done before.

• 1 month later...

I'm four weeks behind!

The head bolt patterns for JZs are identical. 1JZ, 2JZGE, and 2JZGTEs all use the same pattern.

You wouldn't need to make any modifications to the gasket. It's a factory multilayer steel gasket, and the head and deck surfaces are finished properly for proper sealing. I would recommend taking both to a machine shop to have them cleaned, however.

The GTE gasket will lower the compression to around 8.5:1, which is suitable for boost.

350-400hp in a sub 3000lbs Z car would be fast. Very fast. And 2JZs can easily support those sort of numbers, reliably, with no issues unless you make an operator error, say like throwing into first at 70 miles an hour.

Extra information:

JDM 2JZGTEs from the Toyota Aristos come with front sump oil pans. The proper oil pan is a mid-sump, which can be had from any USDM Supra. You can order these from Driftmotion.com.

JDM 2JZGTEs use a ceramic bladed compressor wheel, and these are EXTREMELY prone to delamination above stock boost. 12 PSI, if I recall, is the maximum. USDM 2JZGTEs use steel compressor wheels, and when boost is increased on them, stock 2JZGTEs will make 400 horsepower reliably.

USDM 2JZGTEs use 550cc side feed injectors. 2JZGEs use 370cc (IIRC) side feed injectors. 7MGTE 440cc top feed injectors are a good stopgap for NA-T setups until a proper aftermarket set are obtained. JDM engines use a MAP based air metering system, whereas USDM engines use a MAF based system. The ports on GTE heads flow far better than any other Toyota I-6, and the GE and GTE heads are different castings. The port flow characteristics, as well as manifold (exhaust and intake) mounting pads, are different. In other words, intake and exhaust manifolds WILL NOT interchange. 1JZ heads WILL bolt onto 2JZ blocks, with some different parts, such as water pump, transfer tube, etc. Bear in mind that 1JZ cylinder heads flow marginally better than 2JZ heads, but use completely different electronics. You would need to buy a complete 1JZ, with harness and ECM, and a 2JZ block. Flywheels are identical.

I own a MKIII Supra turbo, and the most cost effective way to have reliable horsepower in them is to use a 2JZGE with a turbocharger, manifold, and 7MGTE electronics. It's a tested, proven method to make reliable horsepower.

Transmission selections include the USDM Aisin R154 5speed manual (requires 1JZ bellhousing), the JDM Toyota Soarer R154 (suitable for our cars, as the shifter housing is the correct length, and comes with a 1JZ bellhousing), USDM and JDM Aisin W58 (not suitable, due to weak gears; used in N/A applications), and the A341 4 speed automatic trans.

240 and 260Z R180 differentials are not suitable for this swap, as they can't hold the power that you're aiming for. The R200 differential is a much better option. There are several write ups with information on swapping.

Personally, I'm going with a 31spline Ford 9" live axle, with a triangulated suspension setup, and a 2JZGE-T/R154 combo to power it.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.