HybridZ

'76 280Z w/ 94 Roadmaster LT-1

OK, My name is Donovan. I am in the Army and trying to finish up this project. Thanks to the shop that I am using only being open four days a week and me being sent away all the time, this is coming along slowly. Also, I am learning at this whole mechanic thing. I am far from a mechanic in the Army but I am enjoying what I am doing so far. I knew this would take a lot of money and although I am trying to keep costs down, i am not avoiding quality or things I need to do. The funny thing is I thought I would just install this drivetrain and be done, but as things come out or I see things that can be changed my list of things to buy grows. Anyone thinking of doing this and asking about cost, then I would suggest not to do it because it costs too much for you.

The basics; it is a '76 280Z that touched a guardrail when loaned to a friend. I got a LT-1 and 4L60E from a '94 Buick Roadmaster. So far I have the engine and engine bay mostly prepped per JTR manual and installed into the engine bay. I did not get to cut the wholes for the transmission mount yet but probably this weekend. The car was undercoated apparently from the factory or close to it and has no rust underneath that I can find. I do have some in some areas of the body that I am working on, and the spots that were damaged from the collision. I have the dash and interior out as well. The heater doesn't work so I need to fix that and I am looking to replace the carpet as well. From viewing others rides I believe I will go the route of cutting out the spare tire well and install a few cell there. I am looking to do some sort of nice dual exhaust out the middle or each side on the back. Side pipes is still somewhat in my mind but until I research it a little more it is very unlikely. Since the dash is out now I would like to redo the gage faces or at the minimal change to LED's. The headlights I definitely want upgraded but I am struggling to find something that performs well and still look somewhat stock yet a little mean. I originally had the headlight covers and planned to go with them again but as of now I am on the fence.

I really have so many things i want or need to do that I can't explain right now, but I will. I hope this isn't against the rules but I will use this to keep track of my progress and keep organized what I still have to do. Also I will use this to keep track what I need to still research and figure out.

When I can get some photos together I will be posting some things I don't need anymore for sale in the classified sections as well.

From here below I will use to somewhat organize my thoughts and track progress, Thank you.

Body

MSA type 3 or JDM

Flares

headlight covers?

upgraded headlights

front bar?

weld sides

flatten rear

mirrors

Interior

Carpet

LED lights in dash

gage faces?

heater core

audio? probably none

NEED

shifter assembly

Drivetrain

driveshaft

temp sending sensor? wtf

fuel cutoff switch

fuel lines

fuel cell

fuel pump

auto shifter assembly

linkage rod

other weird things

alternator brackets, how do I even do that

wiring

Suspension

brakes

brake upgrade

Wheels

tires

tire sizes > tach drive gear

wheels

I will be. I am still searching for everything that I should be doing or want to be doing. This is a very rough rough sort of gather of thoughts and way of tracking my progress for myself. If you or anyone my have some suggestions or tips, please feel free to let me know.

• 9 months later...

OK, after a lot of work on this car I have decided to take it all apart and start over.

I am taking the advice of everyone and doing it right. The 4L60E I will no longer be using. I want to go T56 and figure I should just go ahead and go for that now. So it is for sale and I am in search new a new trans. The engine, I want to go supercharger eventually and a better engine. The LT1 is nice but I am looking into either building or buying a 383 or scrapping that and just going LS series. Not sure what is the best option yet. The suspension and brakes are all coming off and I will be upgrading it all. That will give me time to go ahead and and strip the rest of the body and give it a proper paint job. Basically, I will be redoing the entire car and destroying my bank account, but will be fun. And now that the car is moved to a spot that I can access anytime, I will be able to get more work done.