HybridZ

R200 Companion Flange/ Yoke to R180?

Cannonball89

Ok so I'm dropping a L28ET with a T5 into my 240z. I plan on using the R200 in the future but for now due to budget constraints I want to keep the R180 diff until I have enough money to install an LSD into the R200 then put it in the car.

So, my problem is that the 240z driveshaft will bolt up to the companion flange on the R180 but the slip yoke won't fit the T5, and the driveshaft from my donor 280zx will fit the T5 but won't bolt up the R180. My question is, can I pull the companion flange off of the R200 and install it on the R180? This would allow me to get the 280zx driveshaft shortened and use it. I have been searching the archives and can't find a definitive answer. Maybe my brain is just fried.

I guess my other option would be to have the flange from my 240z driveshaft installed onto the 280zx driveshaft when I get it shortened, but if anyone knows for sure if the companion flanges are interchangeable I'd appreciate it.

post-10222-018624100 1295559389_thumb.jpg

Will this fit R180?

There's no way around a new/rebuilt driveshaft with the R180. Now, depending on which R200 you get there are still two different pinion yokes. The N/A has a 2.25" pilot hole and the Turbo has a 2" pilot hole. Nevermind, I see now that you already have the matching 3.54 Turbo R200. Keep the old T5 flange so you can reuse it on the next driveshaft.

Edited by ezzzzzzz

There are at least 5 r200 pinion flanges.

a 1 year old thread has a couple of pictures here somewhere

1. round flange for r180 with small bolt pattern found on Z cars, maxima, 510, 710, 810.

2. round flange for r200 with small bolt pattern....found on some 280zx and 200sx turbos.

3. rectanglar flange for r200 ....found on 280zx turbo.

4. round flange for r200 with larger bolt pattern than flanges 1 and 2..... found on z31 300zx.

5. round flange for r200 with larger bolt pattern than flanges 1 and 2 with abs tone wheel teeth and around .5 to .75 longer....found on infiniti m30.

There are probably a couple more that fit the shortnose r200s in 240sx, z32, j30, and Q45.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I knew there wouldn't be "cheap" or "easy" solution for this. So I guess I'll be talking to my driveshaft shop about what my options are. Thanks. Expect a thread soon showing everything I've done for my build. Its pretty basic but I can't help but show off... he he